Sad News

eyelids

Bells Rule!
Well today I woke up to a dead gecko. She was a perfectly healthy Stripe possible het Bell from Kelli. I can't afford to get a necropsy, but I think she died from a ruptured organ. I say this because there's a green spot on her belly. What could have happened?

nwheat

I'm so sorry to hear that! :sad: Hope had a ruptured cyst, but you could see blood pooling all over inside her - not just a spot. Most of her belly turned dark.

Your reptile vet might do a quick necropsy for free or very little cost. They will be able to tell if it was something like a ruptured cyst or organ. My vet didn't charge me anything to look at Hope - they didn't do any histology, but they could tell basically what happened.

eyelids

Bells Rule!
Thanks for the kindness. I only had her for a couple weeks too. I would've taken your advice Nancy, but my brother took her to be cremated at the forgery he works at. I didn't know what else to do. I couldn't just throw her in the trash. She was a beautiful gecko. Never got a photo of her, but I have Kelli's...

05fphb08150lu.jpg

It's hard to tell in the pic, but she had a lot of lavender around her stripe. This has me so upset because there was nothing I could do. I checked her last night to see if she was ovulating and everything looked fine. She had been eating and defecating normally. However, she always seemed very stressed out. I think the move from Kelli's may have been too much for her and she just never got comfortable.

robin

im sorry for your loss... i could be many thing a rruptured organ... was she gravid? some times things just happen and we do not know why... even when you send them out for a necropsy it comes back inconclusive so sometimes you never know

robin

most likely what you were seeing when you turned her over was her liver not that it buurst but sometimes when leos up and die and you roll em over you can see the liver all yucky, i dont know why though, marcia might

KelliH

Well today I woke up to a dead gecko. She was a perfectly healthy Stripe possible het Bell from Kelli. I can't afford to get a necropsy, but I think she died from a ruptured organ. I say this because there's a green spot on her belly. What could have happened?

Oh no! That makes me so very sad! I have no idea what could have happened, she was such a big girl that always ate well. :-(

PM me when you have a minute.

S

startdigging

I'm sorry to hear that. I just lost my leucistic Lucy last tuesday. She had a dark green ring on her belly as well, which I was told was food rotting, and her genitals (round abouts where they wouldve been) were missing...I imagine crickets ate at her a bit. IT was horrible. I was told she didn't need a UV light. I brought her in, about a year later because she had a growth on her elbow and wasnt moving much, they said she looked liek she had MBD from lack of UV. I'm extremely confused. I dont know if she got a parasite or died from her disease, but either way it was so upsetting and I'm trying to figure out what happened so Bruno won't die as well. Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers

S

startdigging

Guess that's not how pictures work. How do you post one?

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
Robin said it but it bears repeating... green "stains" in the body cavity generally mean that at least part of the digestive tract or the associated organs has ruptured, punctured or started leaking bile. Pre versus post mortem is a fairly important question...

You say you can't afford a necropsy... but if you have other animals in your collection, I'm inclined to say you can't afford NOT to have one done. If your feeder insects are coming in with a high, virulent parasite load or if there is the potential for a pathenogen... well, I always figured it was better to eat Ramen Noodles for a week than to take risks, however slight, with animal health.

Edit: Green can also be infected tissue and sometimes you get an odd appearance if you have an animal which managed to leak unoxygenated blood out into the body cavity and keep it that way... And all three of the common possibilities (with the bile being the most likely by a fair magrin and with the understanding that I have not seen a photo) have multiple potential causes ranging from parasites and bacteria to physical injury, burns and just... general organ failure in an animal which has aged. I do not intend to come across like I am diagnosing ANYTHINg or stating ANYTHING in concrete terms- this just stresses the important of a necropsy (provided the animal is not in the freezer, if it is, then don't bother).

Last edited:

Jeanne

Abbie's Human
startdigging said:

That is how you post them, using the
but your picture has to be on the internet somewhere, like Photobucket.com (which I agree is the best and its free). You can't use pictures stored on your computer

eyelids

Bells Rule!
Well guys I had a nice suprise today that totally lifted my spirits. It doesn't belong in this section though... :wink:

Visit our friends