Freaky cricket video

LeosForLess

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7226661303929118618
Gordian worm live inside crickets for long periods, feeding on the cricket's diet. Once fully grown, they inject chemicals into the cricket's brain brainwashing it and forcing it to kill itself by jumping into the water. Once in water, the worm wriggles out of the writhing body and swims off in search of a mate.

Any here ever have crix with parasites?

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
Hmm...is this for real? It seems that such a looooong worm is too much to fit into one circket's belly...

Grinning Geckos

Tegan onboard.
Far fetched? I don't think so! Do some research on parasitic worms...there are some very crazy, and very real things out there. You'll never want to walk barefoot again.

SirKevin

Ahhhhhhh good god...I am NEVER watching that on any psychadelic drug of any sort...

But you have to admit, making the cricket commit suicide is pretty amusing.

T

TheHiddenGecko

Very interesting. I believe it can fit in there. Don't people say our small intestine is as long as a football field? I'm sure if any of the crix we got had that worm, we would definitely notice it in the water bowl. At least, I hope so!

M

mayabear52

That vid was so freaking...:speechless: whats the word I'm looking for ...EVIL:evil: I can't wait to show it to my wife she is going to gag :D :main_laugh: EVIL I TELL YOU EVIL:main_evilgrin:

Arconna

Am I the only one that is slightly disturbed by that? I sure as hell wouldn't be swimming in that pool. You ever hear of those parasites that crawl up your you know what hole and stuff? *shakes head* I don't think so...that pool would be filled with turpentine or some other exceedingly toxic chemical within a second of seeing that...*shivers*

LeosForLess

I dont think they can infect humans. It probably targets crickets for some reason. The cricket somehow picks up the eggs, it lives in the cricket or a while, makes the cricket jump into the water, it squirms out and lays its eggs and dies. Thats just my guess.

LeosForLess said:
I dont think they can infect humans. It probably targets crickets for some reason. The cricket somehow picks up the eggs, it lives in the cricket or a while, makes the cricket jump into the water, it squirms out and lays its eggs and dies. Thats just my guess.

good theory that could be the case.This worm reminds me of a tapeworm.20 ft.long

Grinning Geckos

Tegan onboard.
Just did a little reading...no danger at all to anyone, unless you happen to be a land-dwelling insect. Once they emerge from the host, into the water, they are done feeding for life. They breed and die, and the cycle continues. Apparently fish like them a lot...yummy yummy.

Arconna

Grinning Geckos said:
Just did a little reading...no danger at all to anyone, unless you happen to be a land-dwelling insect. Once they emerge from the host, into the water, they are done feeding for life. They breed and die, and the cycle continues. Apparently fish like them a lot...yummy yummy.

I'd still fill the pool with something extremely toxic to make sure it died and that nothing else could survive in there...that's just too damn creepy for me. I'm not bothered by worms or insects, but parasites like that just make me somewhat unsettled...

gko reptiles

A New Generation
Grinning Geckos said:
Far fetched? I don't think so! Do some research on parasitic worms...there are some very crazy, and very real things out there. You'll never want to walk barefoot again.

Haha!! Fisrt of all, I grew up on a horse farm, and second of all BOTH of my parents were doctors!! I've seen it all!!

Visit our friends