moist hides for hatchlings

T

TheHiddenGecko

What does everyone use as moist hides for their hatchlings? I use half pound deli cups with peat moss in them but it dries out way to quick. I tried paper towel but that dried out very quick as well. I'm trying to think of a way so I won't have to remist the hide every night.

robin

yeah i dont use a moist hide i just use paper towels as a substrate i give them something to hide in like a toilet paper tube or a small butter dish with a hole cut in it. however for humidity i simply mist and where you live is going to depend on how often you mist them. usually i would do it every day or every other day depending on how hot it was and i also use a small petri dish for a water bowl

Last edited:
C

Cryptly

For my tiny one, I use one of those plastic contianers that superworms come in, with papertowel for substrate. I don't have to mist every night, but I do have to replace the papertowel every night. Enigma uses the hide for a bathroom. :main_rolleyes:

Jeremy Letkey

Jaded by reality!!
Steve you should be checking on the little ones every night any way. If they have any problems they can go downhill fast. If your checking them nightly you can keep a good eye on them.

I use plastic babyfood containers. I just set them on top of the paper towel substrate.

robin

Jeremy Letkey said:
Steve you should be checking on the little ones every night any way. If they have any problems they can go downhill fast. If your checking them nightly you can keep a good eye on them.

I use plastic babyfood containers. I just set them on top of the paper towel substrate.
ok that wont work here cuz we got no babies to feed that stuff to so we cant have empty baby food containers and like i am going out to buy a baby just so i have those plastic baby food containers ..... right

ExcessiveHerps

Leo Addict
I use shushi containers and paper towels I live in Vegas and the paper towels are bone dry by morning but I've never had a problem with babies shedding or anything of that matter I mist the paper towel nightly.
2005_0501Image0022.jpg

T

TheHiddenGecko

I do check all the babies every night but I was just wondering if their was a way so I don't have to take out all the hides almost every night. It seems most people are using paper towel and are still misting them almost every night so I guess I'll just stick with that. I'm guessing R cizzat might be Robin but I could be wrong. Haha.

J

Jedi Master Bruce

Good thread!

The hatchling humidity problem can be very vexing. I have found that too much humidity will certainly screw-up the young ones. I have gone to the simple paper towel program such as described by the other breeders on this thread.

I certainly know from my experience here in Florida that it can be very difficult to strike the right balance of humidities in different parts of a hatchling's cage.

It also seems to me that some hatchlings are doomed from the start because they are problem shedders and there may be nothing to do right for them.

R

rrhill

Jeremy...I'm thinking you mean these rectangular plastic baby food containers, right? I have a bunch of those & never even thought about using for hatchlings...that is a great idea!
And Robin I buy the fruit baby food for my day geckos & cresteds.

Jeanne

Abbie's Human
rrhill said:
Jeremy...I'm thinking you mean these rectangular plastic baby food containers, right? I have a bunch of those & never even thought about using for hatchlings...that is a great idea!
And Robin I buy the fruit baby food for my day geckos & cresteds.

Can you post a picture of these containers? I have only see bottled baby food jars.

I use paper towels, mist every night. I like looking at the babies, so checking in on them nightly isn't a problem. I use those small plastic containers that go under flower pots as hides, I just flip them upside down, and cut an opening in them, and put them on top of the misted portion of the paper towel.

R

rrhill

Sorry it took so long...camera is being stupid again. I put the pepsi can in the pic to give you an idea of dims. I buy these in 2 packs and they are Gerber brand. They are pretty tasty too! The day geckos & cresteds like this food.

HPIM0216.jpg

Jeanne

Abbie's Human
rrhill said:
Sorry it took so long...camera is being stupid again. I put the pepsi can in the pic to give you an idea of dims. I buy these in 2 packs and they are Gerber brand. They are pretty tasty too! The day geckos & cresteds like this food.

HPIM0216.jpg

Oh, those look perfect!

2.1SRR.YYC

thread back from over a year ago...

Can anyone tell me why paper towel is a better hatchling moist hide substrate than the spangnum moss I'm using for my adults?

No one in this thread mentions moss which I think holds moisture better than paper towel. Maybe not? I'm going to test this to see which one dries out first!

How many breeders don't use moist hides for their hatchlings but instead mist the tub every day? Why?

Curious...

Visit our friends