Mack Snow pricing and the future

ExcessiveHerps

Leo Addict
It's interesting to see how fast mack snow pricing have dropped some are selling for a mear $100. I did expect the pricing to see drops this year as all other new morphs have seen but I guess this is a bit more than what I predicted. It was just 18 months or so ago that when the first few where available so this year was a big one for them. Whats everyone think we'll see them sell for next year. I wonder which snow or SS crosses might hold thier prices over others. To me John Mack with his post recently on KS really pushed a drop even do they where heading there already.
Xavier

boutiquegecko

I was just thinking that yesterday. Just a few months ago I was thinking it would take us forever to save up for a mack, but here they're so low already. Perhaps because they've so flooded the market and now everyone's going back to what they want to specialize in?

eyelids

Bells Rule!
I agree about John's post. I was really surprized! I think the recessive morphs will drop quite a bit next year. The crosses I think will do well are any line bred traits. Especially if Super Hypo Supers are nice. We still haven't seen some other crosses so who knows. Furthermore, since I've seen that Mack Pastels are genetic I think any morphs crossed with them should do good. On the other hand it may take another test season to figure them out...

ExcessiveHerps

Leo Addict
boutiquegecko said:
i Perhaps because they've so flooded the market and now everyone's going back to what they want to specialize in?
Amazing how in less than 2 years they is more supply than there is demand for a brand new morph

ExcessiveHerps

Leo Addict
420Geckos said:
I agree about John's post.\ Furthermore, since I've seen that Mack Pastels are genetic I think any morphs crossed with them should do good. On the other hand it may take another test season to figure them out...
I honestly think the mack pastel won't be a hit the only ones I even see them being sold from is Alex Hue others just mark them as Mack siblings and not at a cost of any new morph entering the market.

eyelids

Bells Rule!
ExcessiveHerps said:
I honestly think the mack pastel won't be a hit the only ones I even see them being sold from is Alex Hue others just mark them as Mack siblings and not at a cost of any new morph entering the market.

I think what most people consider Mack siblings are just that, Mack siblings. Like Alex says on his page "I believe this trait to be associated or for lack of better words...a "by product" of the Mack Snows or at the very least a trait that originated from the Mack bloodlines." I believe it is the latter and they originated from their bloodlines. So not every Mack Snow can make Mack Pastels. I was skeptical at first, but now that my first clutch from a Mack Snow Pastel breeding have grown up a bit I'm sure of it. The Mack Snow is developing the pastel yellow coloring like his father and the sibling is turning a drab green with brighter green bands. The sibling from the second clutch is starting to develop the green color at just over two weeks. If I can get my brother to come take new pics I will. I definitely think true Mack Pastels hold a lot of potential.

Last edited:

Grinning Geckos

Tegan onboard.
I think the SS Macks will hold their price a bit better, including the crosses. It takes more time, effort, and luck to produce a homozygous form than it does a heterozygous form. I do have to say, the prices of the hets did drop faster than I had expected.

G

geckogod2

I don't know if its supply/demand or not. I think a lot of breeders are panicing and if something doesn't sell in a week or two , they drop the price. Other breeders see this and start to panic too trying to keep the competive edge. they in turn lower their prices. To raise prices, maybe we all ought to stop breeding macks for a year or two. the crosses will keep their value for the meantime. it will take longer to produce something such as a mack super snow patternless albino

S

snmreptiles

I don't believe in the mentality of producing 100 geckos at $20 a pop, when I could produce 20 at $100 a pop. The market stays stronger, less animals to take care of resulting in a higher quality animal. Unfortunately other breeders don't seem to see this strategy...MAKE AS MANY AS YOU CAN AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN...I just don't get it.

This is exactly why you must keep what you like, I truely don't think there are "Investment" leo's anymore! My .02!

Mike
www.snmreptiles.com

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
snmreptiles said:
I don't believe in the mentality of producing 100 geckos at $20 a pop, when I could produce 20 at $100 a pop. The market stays stronger, less animals to take care of resulting in a higher quality animal. Unfortunately other breeders don't seem to see this strategy...MAKE AS MANY AS YOU CAN AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN...I just don't get it.

This is exactly why you must keep what you like, I truely don't think there are "Investment" leo's anymore! My .02!
Mike, I agree. Maybe I'm being too black and white here, but I think there is a difference between the breeders who got involved with the Mack Snows for the excitement and challenge of working with a new morph, and those who jumped on the bandwagon to make a financial killing on the market. Those who are having fun with breeding the snows are still having fun, while those with flashing dollar signs in their eyes are panicking. I still don't think anyone would have predicted such a severe loss in value as we are seeing now, and it is disappointing since this is the time of year when there is a huge glut of excess leopard geckos on the market in general.

BalloonzForU

I agree the prices have dropped more than I had hoped, considering how much I paid just a few months ago for my mack het bell. However, for me it really wasn't about the money I could get from babies. It was more the opportunity to work with a newer morph. This is the first Co-Dom that I will be breeding, and it's going to be fun to learn first hand. Besides, who could not just love my little girl WCS. ;) <~~~ Very proud mommy!

S

snmreptiles

I truly expected them to drop like a stone, I remember buying my first "het" for blizzard because I couldn't afford $1000 for the homozygous. They went from $1000, to $100 very quickly as well, and it's simple recessive. Co Doms seem to be dropping like mad in every species. Ball Pythons...Morphs that were 10K last year, are down to 3 to 4K this year. Again, lets produce TONS and sell them for less, instead of producing fewer for higher prices. Luckily I have a real job, and a hobby, if it all goes south, I can still pay my bills.

DO NOT GET INTO REPTILES IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A QUICK BUCK!! It just doesn't happen that way anymore, don't know if it ever did to begin with!
If you keep stuff you are passionate about, it won't matter. I honestly got into reptiles for the money (So I thought) ten years ago. I bred very few things that I kept, it wasn't until I started producing $10 P. Pictus geckos that I started realizing if I enjoyed what I kept I would be MUCH more successful!

Mike
www.snmreptiles.com

Visit our friends