Do baby geckos go into "hibernation?"

AntMan612

My two babies (2 and 3 months old) seem to have lost their appetites, since the days started getting shorter. This is pretty much the same behavior as my adult leos. Consequently, their growth rate has slowed, but they look reasonably healthy. Is this normal? Is it okay if they stay at 5 and 8 grams for some time?

Haligren

is behind you.
I think this is happening to mine as well. And not only that he's stressed because he's in a new home.

The little ones we have at work always have problems around this time of year as well. They lose their appetites as well as a lot of weight before they start eating again. As a result they seem to sleep more and grow less.

It's a rough period but it's normal. And it's to be expected this far north. I don't know where you live, but if you're in a colder area during the winter, this behavior doesn't seem so unlikely.

AntMan612

I live in California, so the room doesn't get below 70 F during the day, but maybe they are aware of the Winter by the amount of darkness. I was going to give one baby away as a gift to a new reptile owner (under my guidance), but now I think I should wait until Spring.

nats

My leos are going into their "winter mode" too.

They have gone from 15 big mealies or 12 crix, to 3 or 4 mealies.
And some days, they wont eat at all.

No worries, as long as they have fat tails, they can go w/o food for weeks.

shadowx362

Excellent Geckos
well yes they can slow down in eating, which sucks because its always better to have them grow fast. I remember last year I had one hatchling left over the winter and it just grew extremely slow and when it hit spring in went up in weight tremendously. As long as its not getting skinny and dehydrated it should be fine.

AntMan612

well yes they can slow down in eating, which sucks because its always better to have them grow fast. I remember last year I had one hatchling left over the winter and it just grew extremely slow and when it hit spring in went up in weight tremendously. As long as its not getting skinny and dehydrated it should be fine.

That is reassuring news. I am amazed how they have eaten almost nothing in the last few weeks, but still act normally, albeit very sleepily. At their tiny size, there's not much mass to lose. Is it too soon to have Spring Fever?:D

SleepyDee

My two babies (2 and 3 months old) seem to have lost their appetites, since the days started getting shorter. This is pretty much the same behavior as my adult leos. Consequently, their growth rate has slowed, but they look reasonably healthy. Is this normal? Is it okay if they stay at 5 and 8 grams for some time?
personally I feel at just 5g & 8g they're too small to go into brumation ~ my 2-3 month olds average between 20g and 35g and I don't allow the temps to drop (either room or viv temps) plus I use lighting to allow for adequate daylight simulation for them consequences is all my geckos are still eating as normal :)

nats

personally I feel at just 5g & 8g they're too small to go into brumation ~ my 2-3 month olds average between 20g and 35g and I don't allow the temps to drop (either room or viv temps) plus I use lighting to allow for adequate daylight simulation for them consequences is all my geckos are still eating as normal :)

I have 2 leos in a basement w/ little natural light, hence my use of fluorescents on a timer. I keep the same night/day regimen year round and
they still go into their semi-burmation!!??

How do they know?

My female, on the other hand, is in my bedroom with 2 windows and she
does it too, but she can see the days getting shorter.

SleepyDee

all my vivs are kept in a north-facing room with access to limited shady daylight ~ so in winter even less natural daylight then the rest of the house ~ which is supplemented with ordinary room lighting, the rooms ambient winter daytime temp is approximately 75*F dropping down to a minimum of 70*F at night, all vivs and RUBs are heated by stat controlled heatmats/heat strips with a temp grading from 88*F/90*F down to room temp and all of mine (adults and babies) eat as normal with no brumation ;)

AntMan612

That's very interesting. I have central heating, so I have hesitated to warm up the whole house above 70*F when I am not home during the day. But, perhaps I could add a low wattage heat lamp and thermostat, like Cassandra (Haligren) is doing, to help the cool side.

all my vivs are kept in a north-facing room with access to limited shady daylight ~ so in winter even less natural daylight then the rest of the house ~ which is supplemented with ordinary room lighting, the rooms ambient winter daytime temp is approximately 75*F dropping down to a minimum of 70*F at night, all vivs and RUBs are heated by stat controlled heatmats/heat strips with a temp grading from 88*F/90*F down to room temp and all of mine (adults and babies) eat as normal with no brumation ;)

SleepyDee

That's very interesting. I have central heating, so I have hesitated to warm up the whole house above 70*F when I am not home during the day. But, perhaps I could add a low wattage heat lamp and thermostat, like Cassandra (Haligren) is doing, to help the cool side.
my heating is set to come on at 6am-8am (all getting ready for work, school etc), 12pm-1pm (folks home for lunch) and finally 5pm-7pm (coming home, bath-time, bedtime for littl'uns) ~ the heating isn't on all the time ;) I know some folks use a small heater (big enough for ambient heat) in rooms with reps.
On the whole I do feel that ambient room air temp alongside how much heat is lost/kept from viv/tanks does play a part

Visit our friends