Geckos and Song!

Dandizette

Lizard Circus Ringmaster!
A rather curious thing has happened to me. I had my porch door open to let some air into my room for spring/summer cleaning. In the neighborhood you could hear an ice cream truck driving by, playing on its loud speaker: "Turkey in the Straw" and "Camptown Races." All for of my lizards, my bearded dragon and my three leopard geckos stopped what they were doing and listened. The dragon stopped eating, and all three of my geckos crawled out of their hides when the music became clear. For a short time after the truck had gone, all were still, presumably still listening. Then, my beardie resumed eating and my geckos all returned to their hides.

Has anything similar happened to you? Have your reptiles stopped what they were doing to listen to music or investigate a strange tune? Do you think they are actively listening or something else? I think theories and discussion on this would be amusing, don't you? So let us talk!

Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I haven't had that experience with music, but a few years ago I was working on putting together a new enclosure for a day gecko. I had it out in the middle of the living room floor and when I looked over at the stack of gecko tanks, they were all out on top of their hides watching me.

Aliza

Dandizette

I can just imagine that. It sounds both darling and a little creepy. At least they weren't tokay geckos, that'd be the creepiest of all. XD

VampyricAngelX

Haven't had that happen with music but my big male Dante watches me wherever I go in my room (when he's not asleep of course). Though he does seem to react to sounds, even if its not music. I know when my mom will come in to play the super nintendo (yea, mine's still working & we still use it XD), he'll come out of his hide and look towards her/the TV. My others don't seem to care too much of what's going on outside their tanks but he generally seems to like movement and sound.

Landen

LSReptiles
I've had some that I swore were watching tv. I think they're more alert to activity than most of us think.

NRG

My gecko's are in the same room I mix and produce my music in. Most of them stay in their hides when I start playing it but my favourite gecko called Dennis will always come out of his hide when I play him some Tech House. He also likes to sit on my shoulder and watch the football.

Dandizette

I've had some that I swore were watching tv. I think they're more alert to activity than most of us think.

That is what I feel exactly. I think our geckos are much more perceptive than we give them credit for. After all, they could not be animate or alive if they did not respond to outside stimulus, right? Why not music, sound and TV?

Sometime, instead of practicing my trombone at the university where they have soundproofed rooms, I will practice it at my home and see what the geckos' response is.

Also, geckos and Tech House sound like an awesome combo. I wonder if Dennis likes it much? I wonder if geckos have musical preferences like people do.

Visit our friends