Housing Two Leos Together

Bloody Holly

Hey everyone, my friend is giving me a free 20 gallon tall tank and I'm going to get my first Leo in a few weeks. When we were talking, he asked me if I just wanted to get one Leo, and I thought about it, and I kind of want to get two leos now!

I know there's a "10 gallon rule" for housing leos, and I wanted to know if you guys thought I could house two leos in a 20 gallon tall tank. Also, if I can have two leos in my tank, does gender matter? Are two males a bad idea? Should I get two females?

Thanks in Advance!

Dimelius

From my low experience, Leos are almost solitary animals so usually is good 1 tank 1 leo. Anyway in a tank u can put 2 female and wish that 1 dont bite other(not only males are evil...) and if u have 2 leo, if 1 will have something other 1 will get it for sure..so at end 2 sick leos.

You can make a duo just 2 females.

joeyjoe9876

Don't house two males together, males are more territorial and will most likely fight each other constantly. Females can be more tolerant but I would still keep a close eye on them. Housing a male and female may only be a problem if you aren't interested in breeding yet.

GeckoGurl

I will add that if you do decide to get two females... it may be wise to get a back up tank of some sort. females do not always get along either and if something happens with fighting or one gets sick you will have to seperate them and sometimes quickly.... Also your females may get along great while they are younger but as the get older may have problems... don't get me wrong I know quite a few people who have never had problems but at the same time you have to try to be preapred for the "what ifs" Good luck!

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
I've seen quite a bit of damage done by females to other females. It's more common than most people think. If you do get two females, like Nadia said have a backup setup in case all is not right in paradise.

Bloody Holly

Thanks for all the input everybody! I just talked to my friend and he just noticed that his 20 tall is cracked so he's giving me a 10g. Oh well, I think having just one leo for now will be better for me anyways.

Visit our friends