Mealworms for Fat tails

BeardieBeast91

My buddy has an AFT that only will eat crickets. We want to get him eating a staple of mealworms, mainly because my friend doesn't breed his own crickets, and mealworms tend to be cheaper and almost as nutritious. AFT's seem to be very picky towards only eating crickets. Is there a way to switch the little guy over to mealworms? Thanks and have a great day. :)

Caleb C

I have a fat tail that eats mealworms, but it's not easy. I offered him mealworms along with the crickets every day. They will pretty much eat anything that looks like a typical insect and will crawl. I don't think that they're picky at all, it just seems like they don't notice that mealworms are also food. I'd just keep offering mealworms during feeding time. Some people crush their mealworms, as their guts are supposed to be tasty. Has he tried dubias? They're easy to breed and fat tails gladly eat them.

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
I second the dubia recommendation.
If you want to go ahead with mealworms try cutting them in half so the gecko can smell it and it will wriggle a bit more. That'll help get him on them quicker

BeardieBeast91

I have a fat tail that eats mealworms, but it's not easy. I offered him mealworms along with the crickets every day. They will pretty much eat anything that looks like a typical insect and will crawl. I don't think that they're picky at all, it just seems like they don't notice that mealworms are also food. I'd just keep offering mealworms during feeding time. Some people crush their mealworms, as their guts are supposed to be tasty. Has he tried dubias? They're easy to breed and fat tails gladly eat them.

Thanks Caleb. Yeah, blaptica dubias are also a very good option. I've recommended that to him. :)

GazzaB85

Hi all. I'm a new member from the uk. I bought my first aft around 8 weeks ago. I also have a 3year old leopard gecko who I've had since she was 12 weeks old. Just thought I would say hi and sorry if I have posted in the wrong section. Lol. Gary

Caleb C

Hi all. I'm a new member from the uk. I bought my first aft around 8 weeks ago. I also have a 3year old leopard gecko who I've had since she was 12 weeks old. Just thought I would say hi and sorry if I have posted in the wrong section. Lol. Gary
He Gazza, welcome to the forum! Feel free to make a new thread in the introductions subforum and introduce yourself.

erinNdchip94

Hi everyone! my name is Erin and i have a female AFT name chip. I've owned her for about 3 months and absolutely love her! i normally feed her crickets but I've tried feeding her waxworms and she was stubborn to them (never going to force feed again). Now im trying meal worms and ive only got her to eat one and thats it. I've tried using cricket scent on the mw's and ive tried breaking the mw's in half. Does anyone have any other ideas on how i can get her to eat them? Please and thank you! :)

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
My best suggestion, unfortunately for you, is to bite the bullet and feed her crickets. You could try superworms which 2 of my fat tails will eat on occasion.

Aliza

GazzaB85

I have tried calci-worms, morios and mealies but no luck with my male. He wont even take to hoppers lol. He only eats roaches and black crickets so i alternate between black crix, turkistan roaches and dubia roaches. I feel that the best way of getting nutrition into him is to gutload the insects with as many different fruit/ veg as possible. Some people say that potatoes contain too much phosphorus but i think different fruit and veggies balance this out nicely. Just my opinion. Hope all is well as i realise its an old post. Good luck. Gary

Visit our friends