More tail happenings

SC Geckos

I'm sorry that's just my trait... Horrible one, I agree, but that's me...
Please believe me, he's not horribly thin (yes, William was emaciated) I took really old pics then I fed him a lot of mealies and he got fatter, maybe not normal weight, just he got fatter then the pics I took before. I'll work on his fatness. He was the fattest one at Petco.
Please forgive me, I had a very stressful week this week.

I'm scared now.... Ugh, I checked on him, he was kind of white and lying still, so I had to touch him(yeah, I know, but I had to make sure he was okay) he got thinner, not eating mealies, and in shed. Ill tell you more later....
Yesterday your feeding him lots of mealworms and he's getting fatter and now this morning he's not eating getting thin??? Sounds....... odd. Do you have pictures of him from today and not old ones??

katie_

Wonder Reptiles
Geckos dont get fat in a day, and they dont get skinny in a day.
I'm done here, the end result will only upset me.

DrCarrotTail

IMO private vets are a better bet than corporate ones - although there are exceptions to every rule. The corporate vets also tend to have the highest costs for everything and often the veterinarians work on a type of commission so you're more inclined to be sold stuff you don't necessarily need. Call around and ask for someone who specializes in reptiles. My vet charges a lot for an initial visit but next to nothing for rechecks - which is something to take into consideration since if your guy does have an issue you're probably going to go back several times.

Healthy geckos - even small ones - can go days without food without losing a gram. Again - get a scale and weigh him. Then you're not constantly panicking about "looks" which are not a good way to judge health on a daily basis.

If he's over 20g without a tail he should be big enough to handle eating every few days. Even though I don't think its scientifically proven, some folks say that feeding daily for geckos over 25g is overfeeding them and feeding less often and allowing them to grow more slowly may have long-term benefits. Since he's lost his tail, however, you may want to give him free access to food for a few weeks. I haven't dealt with any of mine losing a tail yet so I'm not sure how much extra they need to eat to grow it back.

Yesterday your feeding him lots of mealworms and he's getting fatter and now this morning he's not eating getting thin??? Sounds....... odd. Do you have pictures of him from today and not old ones??
I never said yesterday, I said a few days ago, which was like a week, before he lost his tail. He hasn't been eating mealies in a while, I don't know why. He won't eat know, he's shedding.

Geckos dont get fat in a day, and they dont get skinny in a day.
I'm done here, the end result will only upset me.

Once again, never said a day. It took a while. I think you misunderstood me, I said a week ago he was(or two) he was fatter than now, not sure if fat enough, but know since he stopped eating, he got thinner.

IMO private vets are a better bet than corporate ones - although there are exceptions to every rule. The corporate vets also tend to have the highest costs for everything and often the veterinarians work on a type of commission so you're more inclined to be sold stuff you don't necessarily need. Call around and ask for someone who specializes in reptiles. My vet charges a lot for an initial visit but next to nothing for rechecks - which is something to take into consideration since if your guy does have an issue you're probably going to go back several times.

Healthy geckos - even small ones - can go days without food without losing a gram. Again - get a scale and weigh him. Then you're not constantly panicking about "looks" which are not a good way to judge health on a daily basis.

If he's over 20g without a tail he should be big enough to handle eating every few days. Even though I don't think its scientifically proven, some folks say that feeding daily for geckos over 25g is overfeeding them and feeding less often and allowing them to grow more slowly may have long-term benefits. Since he's lost his tail, however, you may want to give him free access to food for a few weeks. I haven't dealt with any of mine losing a tail yet so I'm not sure how much extra they need to eat to grow it back.

Got it, I'll weigh him. We have a good vet nearby.

SC Geckos

I never said yesterday, I said a few days ago, which was like a week, before he lost his tail. He hasn't been eating mealies in a while, I don't know why. He won't eat know, he's shedding.
I said (yesterday) because thats when you posted that comment, but it doesnt matter at this point. I am going end my time on this thread now because Im pretty sure what the end result will be without any treatment....... sad. I hope Im wrong.

Ozy

Just for your reference.. Here are some pics of Ozy. The first one is the day I brought her home. The other one was taken yesterday. I got her on July 17th of this year, so it's been almost 4 months I've had her.

Attachments

• 8415.jpg
    8415.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Video 1 0 00 31-14.jpg
    Video 1 0 00 31-14.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 15

Visit our friends