My first leopard gecko

L

Little

Hello!

I got given one of these guys as a pet a few days ago- I'd barely even heard of them before now so I'm highly inexperienced. So far I'm really enjoying this little guy (nameless at the moment since we don't know if its male or female yet.) And I've been researching like crazy to make sure it has the happiest possible life with me.

First things first, the tank I was given actually came with sand and a hot rock. I had no idea these things could be potentially dangerous until I stumbled across some websites. The sand is very fine, but from what I've read its still going to be a problem and I really don't want to take the risk. I already feel bad for putting him in there, but I just didn't know and I want to change it as soon as possible.

I'm going to pick up some kitchen roll tomorrow as I've read this is very suitable, especially for a young gecko. Is this right? Another thing is I've picked up a heat mat for him earlier today and this might be a silly question but would there be a risk of the kitchen roll catching fire from this?? And is the hot rock really bad or is it ok to keep it in there? He seems to really like it but I've heard they can get burnt on there.

I'm really nervous about keeping him as happy and healthy as possible, so even though I don't know a lot I'm trying to do everything right. I don't want to take any risks with sand- and I've also discovered sand isn't their natural habitat anyway, which is what the petshop owner told me! Obviously kitchen roll won't look so good but I'm really not fussed about that as long as he can be safe.

Another thing is does the kitchen roll need to be stuck down? (another silly question!!). Because I was wondering if they'd be inclined to burrow underneath it.

ALSO... The tank I have is glass, but the back wall has a kind of polystyrene (kind of) cut out which the wires for the thermometer and heat mat can tuck behind. My gecko has climed right up this which amazed me but also worried me because if he falls from up there I'm not sure if it would damage him. Are they ok to climb? I really keep an eye on him because I think of him as being very fragile and want to do my best to look after him.

So far he seems quite happy and has even eaten some little worms out my hand ^^ I really love the little guy, I just need steering in the right direction of the best way to keep him happy. At the moment, since he's still getting used to me and is so young, I havn't tried to pick him up or intefere with him yet because I worry about stressing him out, but he seems quite calm and friendly. When will I be able to take him out of his enclosure to sort the sand situation out? It will probably take 15 minutes and all I've got to keep him in for that time is a little tupawear box, will that be ok? I just want to get this kitchen roll in as soon as possible to keep him safe!

Sorry this post is so long, I just need a bit of a hand. So far I'm finding leopard geckos to be fascinating, inquisitive, friendly and absolutely adorable! Thanks for reading, any tips you can give me would be much appreciated. :main_thumbsup:

RampantReptiles

And I've been researching like crazy to make sure it has the happiest possible life with me.

Awesome that your researching, this is definitely a good place to do it!

I'm going to pick up some kitchen roll tomorrow as I've read this is very suitable, especially for a young gecko. Is this right?

Yep paper towels are excellent for young geckos as well as adults.

Another thing is I've picked up a heat mat for him earlier today and this might be a silly question but would there be a risk of the kitchen roll catching fire from this?? And is the hot rock really bad or is it ok to keep it in there? He seems to really like it but I've heard they can get burnt on there.

No the heat mats dont get hot enough for the paper towel to catch fire. Yes geckos can burn themselves on heat rocks, you could use it as decor as long as you unplug it/cut the chord.

Another thing is does the kitchen roll need to be stuck down? (another silly question!!). Because I was wondering if they'd be inclined to burrow underneath it.

Your cage furniture, food dish, water dish, etc. should be enough to weigh the towel down. Yes sometimes the geckos will burrow underneath despite all efforts but its no big deal.

ALSO... The tank I have is glass, but the back wall has a kind of polystyrene (kind of) cut out which the wires for the thermometer and heat mat can tuck behind. My gecko has climed right up this which amazed me but also worried me because if he falls from up there I'm not sure if it would damage him. Are they ok to climb? I really keep an eye on him because I think of him as being very fragile and want to do my best to look after him.

Not sure what you mean by the back wall thing, a photo might help. Geckos are excellent climbers and I would not be terribly concerned but if you can discourage this it might be a good idea. Ive had geckos fall from 3+ft up and be perfectly fine but I guess its possible for them to fall wrong.

So far he seems quite happy and has even eaten some little worms out my hand ^^ I really love the little guy, I just need steering in the right direction of the best way to keep him happy. At the moment, since he's still getting used to me and is so young, I havn't tried to pick him up or intefere with him yet because I worry about stressing him out, but he seems quite calm and friendly. When will I be able to take him out of his enclosure to sort the sand situation out? It will probably take 15 minutes and all I've got to keep him in for that time is a little tupawear box, will that be ok? I just want to get this kitchen roll in as soon as possible to keep him safe!

Hehe glad to hear that he is adjusting well. You can take the little guy out at anytime. Tupperware would be perfect. :)

cucarachafea

Im not sure on the kitchen roll I assume i will be ok. But for now you should just remove the sand and either use paper towels or nothing at all. You may want look into using tiles instead of kitchen roll. They will look much better and are fairly cheap. All you need to do is measure the inside of you tank go down to lowes or home depot, chose the tile you like and have them cut it for you.

A couple of my girls like to climb and they are pretty good and not falling so your leo should be ok. I also have a suicidal male who used to enjoy jumping off a 6 inch ledge and never managed to hurt himself.

Welcome to the hobby. I remember when I only had one leo, a couple years ago, now I have 11. Beware they are cute and addicting.

L

Little

This is all helpful, thanks! I just can't stop looking at him at the moment. Think I'm developing a bit of an obsesion with them already (*considers turning entire house into a gecko home*)

My gecko is still very young at the moment and not used to me at all. I really worry about picking him up because of stressing him out. How easy is it for them to lose their tails because I really worry about it. I know its not the end of the world I just don't want to stress him at all. I'm trying to get him used to my hand and put it in there without touching him for a bit but he either isn't interested, or goes to hide behind a rock. I also tried stroking him after I gave him some food and his tail lifted in the air, which I assumed meant "BACK OFF!". I hope I'm not proding at him too much, I just want him to get used to me. So I worry about diving in there to pick him up because I've noticed he's friendly as anything and then suddenly seems to get grumpy for no reason. Would picking him up ever stress him out enough to drop his tail? He's always happy to see me then gets peed off if I'm around too long. I'm not sure whether to leave it a couple of days before getting him out the tank to re-do it.

Keith N

Just dont try to hold by his or her tail. Usuall don't drop their tail unless you grab it while its squirming. Your best bet to getting it handable is sit on the floor and hold it in your hand when it walks make it go into your other hand and so on. Start small 5 minutes a day then progress and before you know it you will be able to pick it up like its nothing. To redo the tank just take him out and put him into something else temporarily until its finished.

Visit our friends