Some questions...

rafasani

So I'm looking into getting my first leo, and I have some questions...

1 - I have an enclosure that is 40x40x40cm (40cm ~ 1' 3") is that enough space to keep one gecko?? Could I fit more than one in that space?

2 - The UTH I have avaliable here are exo terra's "heat wave vivarium heater" and "heat rainforest", what's the difference between them?? which would be best??

3 - Regarding temp control... I've never used an UTH before, how would I control the temp?? Is there a control for setting the potency or something like that?

LizMarie

I've used the Exo Terra Heat Wave Heater before and it was just fine, it can just get really hot! I'm talking about a 105F. There are two things that you can use to control the temperature a thermostat or a rhethostat (which is basically a light dimmer).

I own a rhethostat and it is SO annoying you constantly have to adjust it to get the right temperature. So I suggest you get a thermostat if possible because for the most part you can set it and forget it.

They say that a 10gallon tank is minimum size and that measures 20x10inches. But your's doesn't seem bad. But I doubt you'll be able to but more then one gecko in it.

rafasani

I thought about using a rheostat but was wondering the UTH might have one built in it...

I figured the enclosure was kinda small, I guess I'll get another one made then...

Thanks for the reply!

nats

Your encloser is fine for one leo.

I do not recommend the use of a rheostat to control the UTH unless your room temp NEVER fluctuates.
Rheostats just increas/decrease the voltage going into the UTH, it can not control the temp.
If your room temp is constant (day and night) than give it a try.
Monitor the temps regularly with a digital or (better still) laser thermometer.
Take your temp readings at floor level, as this is where your leos live.

The most effective (and safest for your leos health) is a good proportional thermostat. This type will be more accurate and greatly extend the life of your UTH, as it is not constantly turning it off and on.

rafasani

I found a thermosthat used for incubating bids, but it just turns the heat source on/off, can't seem to find a proporcional thermostat around here... How long would a UTH last if I use a simple on/off thermosthat??

nats

I found a thermosthat used for incubating bids, but it just turns the heat source on/off, can't seem to find a proporcional thermostat around here... How long would a UTH last if I use a simple on/off thermosthat??

Unknown, depends on alot of variables.

A non-proportional is still better than a rheostat.

Visit our friends