Test site twilight zone

Grinning Geckos

Tegan onboard.
More than a few times today, I've clicked on the link to here, and it brings me to the test site. I have to close out internet explorer, and try again and it USUALLY will bring me here like it's suppose to. I thought it was just me, but I just saw a post from Paul Sage in the test site with the same problem.

M

Montezuma

Grinning Geckos said:
More than a few times today, I've clicked on the link to here, and it brings me to the test site. I have to close out internet explorer, and try again and it USUALLY will bring me here like it's suppose to. I thought it was just me, but I just saw a post from Paul Sage in the test site with the same problem.
I had the same issue... was wondering what the heck happened to everything! Was starting to feel like I got dropped off in the middle of the desert in my sleep wearing nothing but my undies! Ok, so maybe not in my undies but I did feel like I was a bit lost! The undies part just made it funnier to me. :main_huh: :main_huh:

CoolGeckos

Deaf Herper
Maybe old cookie is still stored in that makes broswer thinks it is the same site... Try clear up cookie and files.

PaulSage

I'm baaaaaack!
I don't think it's cookies, because I have to log back in each time it switches between the test site and this one. I was just back on the test site though, so I started re-reading the naughty thread. LOL I needed a good laugh. But then I clicked on next page, and it took me back here. SHOOT! heh

brandy101010

This happened to me around 1am. I came in to go into the chat and there was no chat! lol I tried a few times to reload but it keept bringing me to the test site.

KelliH

Hmm, not sure what exactly is going on. It seems the Test Site is coming back to haunt us haha. I'm sure Ryan is looking into it.

o0 Ryan 0o

Administrator
Staff member
It happened to Val as well and we were a little confused. The only thing that would make sense to me is a DNS issue. The server is showing the proper DNS address's though, I don't get it.

DNS works funny. See the DNS can be set right but each IPS has to cookie the DNS. And this is what you use. So lets say I set my DNS for my site to something else. Some may get to my site before others as some IPS companies replace their cookie faster then others.

SO it sounds to me like some ppeople are getting an old DNS cookie that their IPS has not gtten rid of yet.

I have seen this before. Should only last maybe 6 to 8 hours if that.

M

Montezuma

Gary Orner said:
DNS works funny. See the DNS can be set right but each IPS has to cookie the DNS. And this is what you use. So lets say I set my DNS for my site to something else. Some may get to my site before others as some IPS companies replace their cookie faster then others.

SO it sounds to me like some ppeople are getting an old DNS cookie that their IPS has not gtten rid of yet.

I have seen this before. Should only last maybe 6 to 8 hours if that.
I have to say that is absolutely not the issue. :main_thumbsdown: I never went on the test siteso I couldn't have picked up a test site cookie. When I came in here yesterday it didn't even recognize me as a member. I actually re-registered but things got back to normal b4 I completed the process.

Sorry.. Thank you for Playing, Please try Again!

Montezuma said:
I have to say that is absolutely not the issue. :main_thumbsdown: I never went on the test siteso I couldn't have picked up a test site cookie. When I came in here yesterday it didn't even recognize me as a member. I actually re-registered but things got back to normal b4 I completed the process.

Sorry.. Thank you for Playing, Please try Again!

Just becuase you never visited the test site does not mean your ISP does not have the DNS cookied. Unless you run the ISP this still could be the issue.

Again just becuase you did not visit the test site does not mean your ISP did not hae a dns cookie issue.

Lets see if I can say this in a way for you to understand. Your machine has cookies for the site NOT THE DNS. The DNS cookies lies on your ISP machines. Meaning whom ever you get internet access through(your ISP) could have a dns cookie issue. Has nothing to do with where you visited or if you ever came here before.

M

MDBalderas

The TTL (Time to Live) on the dns zone file for geckoforums.net is 43,200 seconds, or 12hours. The serial # on the zone file reflects an update of June 7th, 2006. Now counting on the fact that the DNS provider keeps to the standard of changing the serial # on each dns change and that the TTL is 12hrs, unless someone's ISP has had issues with pulling a new update since June 7th, no one should be pulling old dns information pointing to the test site. I am going to go back thru the thread cause I don't remember that Ryan said now about it, but was the test site a different IP address located off the current server or the same ip? I could very well be an issue of the webserver software barfing up the old site if it's the same ip.

THe old site was on a web hosting plan and not this server so I believe that the old site had a different IP and DNS setting. The old site was even shut down for hitting the bandwidth limit.

THe reason I say it is a DNS cookie thing. Only a few had the issue.

M

MDBalderas

Given that aspect then I would have to agree with you Gary. Does sound like a bad dns cache. Or maybe abac.com hickuped and restored an old copy of the zone. I guess the only way to track this would be to have anyone who has this happen again run a ping to see what ip it's getting for geckoforums.net at the time. If anyone who doesn't know how to ping and wants to know drop me a pm and I'll send you the directions. Kelli, if it persists I can add a dns checking rule to my monitoring servers at work for the domain and track it that way, just let me know.

Given that it's not persistent I have a feeling it will clear up on it's own.

Visit our friends