the ASPCA's characterization of exotic pets

Lickystevie

Magic Geckos
I found the link to that on the opening page on the computers at my local library, talking about how to tell whether a website was real or fake. As a joke, I recently ordered three hamsters with a credit card number that no one could possibly have: 222222222222222

Taesolieroy

Freelance Artist
ASPCA is full of itself these days..I personally own two sugar gliders, one a rescue from a kid who bought her from a mill breeder that hawks them out in the mall under the claim that "They can eat the same things we can! Even Doritos!"

Let's just say that's a load of bull, and I've done my extensive research before taking them under my care. Gliders can be just as readily treated as a 'small animal' by a local vet as a gecko can, albeit those that can treat gliders might be fewer between, but I'm definitely going to no zoo for my animals!

I've made a point with my two gliders to take them out and about (fully socialized to the point they won't even bite a kid squeezing them) and teach people that while yes a glider is high responsibility, it's not much different than that of a cat or dog and I make a point to tell every kid that impulse-wants one that in the words of "If you can take care of everything a cat or dog needs on your own, then you can consider a glider"

Dogs and Cats in the terms of sickness also hide their illness until it's too late. If anything exotic animals are as easy to spot if they're ill because they're a little more specialized and the range of illnesses related to them are considerably less (probably not so for monkeys, considering how closely related they are to us). Not to mention, responsible owners who have taken everything into consideration and have done their research take extra care of the exotics and tend to be more attentive than say that of a dog or cat.

And just because it's not covered in fur doesn't mean it ISN'T AS CUTE! I've had plenty of customers at work 'squee' with me when I describe my baby geckos and shown their images around. Frankly, you don't have to deal with shed fur as a plus ;3

A friend of mine was ostracized from a pet forum because she wanted to try and shake up the cat and dog exclusive posts with her cresties and leos. She got pretty much the same treatment of "It doesn't have fur/isn't cute LEAVE THIS PLACE HEATHEN!!!!"

I find geckos and gliders to be as expressive, if not moreso than your average dog or cat. Does the average dog/cat do backflips in their cage in excitement when you come near to let them out for bonding time? Does said dog/cat perk up and watch you curiously from their dens while you go about your business (in my case artwork). It's stuff like that which riles me up at times about the ASPCA.

With feeding, cats and dogs potentially have higher food bills than a gecko and a glider, mostly because we have to give them specially formulated food. Animals like gliders and geckos feed readily on insects and fruit - both are cheap and readily available food sources. My food bills for all five of my animals might break a little over $40 a month, that's far less than a bag of the Science Diet catfood for three cats.

Lickystevie

Magic Geckos
I don't know if you saw this, but they actually say that all reptiles are dangerous! How is a Seven or eight inch gecko with no teeth dangerous? And, they say that pigs are not domestic! Pigs were the first animals ever domesticated! Maybe the ASPCA does some good work with cats and dogs, but their information is crap when it comes to any other animal! How is horse more of a pet than a gecko that is sold in every petsmart and petco across the country? How is it that thousands of reptile owners, who, I might add, are regular people, know more about reptiles than a part of the government devoted to animals. It's just odd.

Lickystevie

Magic Geckos
Leopard geckos don't have teeth, right? I have two, and one of them was just trying to eat my finger literally a few minutes ago, and it felt like nothing. I have a crested gecko, and I know that they have small teeth, but leos: I just don't think so.

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
Leopard geckos don't have teeth, right?

specimenlarge.jpg

Kaley

Researching

Dimidiata

But they are so tiny, they can't hurt a person.

Do you EVER do any research before you post? Leos can break skin with ease. All bites from animals are potentially dangerous.

I think we have gone way off topic. Moral of the story, RESEARCH RESEARCH and then, if you have to research on the spot, probably best to keep your mouth shut unless your info is concrete. Dogs were first, yes. Or at least so we think.

The Aspca is a very two faced organization, and a tad bit cowardly, in the idea that they want to play it safe and only work with the cute and cuddleys.

Lickystevie

Magic Geckos
They cannot. Mine are sub adults, and perfectly harmless. Also, even before I got them, I saw a bunch of people on the Internet who said that there were no teeth. I have never see one draw blood, and mine attacked pretty hard, with amazing aim. Whole mouth on my finger, and no injuries whatsoever.

Dimidiata

yes they can, a nice adult leo can break skin if they so wish, regardless, your leos shouldnt be biting you that much unless your stressing them. Who ever was discussing that they didnt have teeth are idiots, you just saw a picture of a leopard gecko skull, please tell me again how they dont have teeth?
http://geckoforums.net/showthread.php?t=133&highlight=bite
http://geckoforums.net/showthread.php?t=84243&highlight=bite
http://geckoforums.net/showthread.php?t=70914

Happy now? Its like saying Tokays are cuddley, (cue Justin holding tokay calmly)

Visit our friends