UVB lamp question

JadedGeckos

So i just got these UVB bulbs https://www.krybdyrsiden.dk/uv-bely...compact-daylight-lavenergipaere-2pct-26w.html (tldr 2% 23Wat)

and im wondering how far i should have them from my Gecko i have two albinos one Tremper albino and one RATPOR and i dont wanna burn thier skin.

any tips? all info i get is for bulbs with like 100 wats etc wich makes me wonder if i have to have my bulb almost on the gecko from the looks of it wich makes me confused.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
In all honesty, unless your gecko is in a room that's always dark during the day I don't see why you need lights at all. Some people want UVB for their leopard geckos because they feel it's more natural and the gecko will be more likely to bask. If your gecko spends all its daylight hours inside the hide it doesn't matter because it won't be benefitting from the light. If you do want to use the light, putting it on the top of the enclosure (assuming it's at least 12" high) is fine. It's not so much an issue of the skin getting burned, rather some geckos feel that the light bothers their eyes. So if you see your gecko hiding more after you install the light, maybe it wasn't a good idea.

Aliza

JadedGeckos

hmm yea i have just read that alot of them become more active and have beter appetite and the uva lets them see all the color they should be. my enclosure is 19.6'' so i gues ill have to lower the light a little but that isnt that much of a hassle.
hoping to breed them next year so a boost in apetite would be great
but as you said if i dont see them outside atall it might just be a waste due to them not liking it. then ill just go back to supplement D3

ZNature

hmm yea i have just read that alot of them become more active and have beter appetite and the uva lets them see all the color they should be. my enclosure is 19.6'' so i gues ill have to lower the light a little but that isnt that much of a hassle.
hoping to breed them next year so a boost in apetite would be great
but as you said if i dont see them outside atall it might just be a waste due to them not liking it. then ill just go back to supplement D3
I recommend checking out the channel “Leopard gecko” on YouTube. She’s got tons of videos on uvb lighting and proper wattage etc. She also did an experiment with uvb lighting and albino Leo’s too and their reaction to it.

JadedGeckos

I recommend checking out the channel “Leopard gecko” on YouTube. She’s got tons of videos on uvb lighting and proper wattage etc. She also did an experiment with uvb lighting and albino Leo’s too and their reaction to it.
yea ive checked her videos alot but she didnt talk alot of albino and hwat they should have only in general i felt like. idk if hers are all albino or just some from the look there is just some.

as acpart said she also talked about 12'' and leopard gecko had the 2.4% so i gues ill just lower the bulb abit to get the proper lenght and for future refrence build other terrariums around 40cm high.

from what she said aswell the albino benefited abit from the uvb and became more active. but overall ill try it out and if they dont like it or if i notice any dmg to thier skin ill act according to it. ill lower the bulb to around 30-40 cm 30cm will be the basking spot i figure would be best.

ZNature

yea ive checked her videos alot but she didnt talk alot of albino and hwat they should have only in general i felt like. idk if hers are all albino or just some from the look there is just some.

as acpart said she also talked about 12'' and leopard gecko had the 2.4% so i gues ill just lower the bulb abit to get the proper lenght and for future refrence build other terrariums around 40cm high.

from what she said aswell the albino benefited abit from the uvb and became more active. but overall ill try it out and if they dont like it or if i notice any dmg to thier skin ill act according to it. ill lower the bulb to around 30-40 cm 30cm will be the basking spot i figure would be best.
That sounds great! Let us know what happens, it would really be interesting to know if the uvb does benefit them. I’ve got three albino Leo’s lol.

JadedGeckos

That sounds great! Let us know what happens, it would really be interesting to know if the uvb does benefit them. I’ve got three albino Leo’s lol.

yea i hope it will help them eat more atleast since they can be abit offish sometimes and i want atleast the female to eat more since i wanna breed them next year, i got a Tremper Albino and a Raptor. hoping to get more raptors down the line but i dont wanna mass breed just taking it slow and steady to not get owerwhelmed. so i might have to discard some eggs sadly but i rather to that then get overwhelmed and let them suffer in some way.

what morphs do you have? :)

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I didn't mean the lights should be exactly 12" and you should lower them if the top was more than 12" high. I just meant that since the average height of many leopard gecko enclosures is 12", that's probably fine and if it's a bit higher, that's OK too.

Aliza

JadedGeckos

I didn't mean the lights should be exactly 12" and you should lower them if the top was more than 12" high. I just meant that since the average height of many leopard gecko enclosures is 12", that's probably fine and if it's a bit higher, that's OK too.

Aliza

i meant both you and leopard gecko talked about that same hight. the youtuber leopard gecko said. 12'' is good for the 2,4% but if i had higher i should go 5% but i dont know if she meant for the albinos aswell due to them being more sensetive and i dont wanna damage thier eyes etc so im just being more careful

Visit our friends