When to disinfect my leopard geckos tank? Let me explain

my.little.biscuit

So Biscuit who’s less than a year old has been struggling with roundworm (i didn’t know it at the time) for at least a month. Well he gets his 2nd (his last) dose of panacur and I’m wondering at which point do I disinfect his enclosure so he doesn’t get reinfected? He’s on paper towels currently.

my.little.biscuit

Also, I was planning on either filling up a utility sink with bleach water or antibacterial dawn dish soap to disinfect his decor. which one would be better?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I don't know if there's a way to guarantee he won't get reinfected but for the moment I'd do this:
--change paper towel every day
--if there's any poop that isn't on the paper towel, remove it and clean the area with hydrogen peroxide.
--after the second dose of Panacur, if possible, replace the furniture with temporary other stuff (if you really love what he already has. If you don't care, just buy new stuff). If you want to keep what he has, wash it in bleach/water solution --not sure how much bleach, but not more than 50%-- and let it air dry outside
--wash and dry the bottom of the cage 4 times: bleach and water, hydrogen peroxide, vinegar, plain water

The above is based on my regular cleaning protocol when the need arises (the last point, but without the bleach and water; I spray on the peroxide and the vinegar), as well as what I imagine would be extra cleaning due to the roundworms. It wouldn't hurt to google "disinfecting after roundworms".

Aliza

Visit our friends