Crested gecko suddenly ill

Euphoric

My crested gecko was fine 2 days ago. He gets daily CGD and weekly crickets. Last week he ate his crickets. Yesterday I didn't get a chance because I had to pickup a rescue.

Today, it is almost like he has "deflated" and lost a bunch of weight.

He is also very confused and lethargic. He isn't eating.

And of course, guess what. 2 months ago I switched to coco fiber and I haven't been really paying attention to poop...and I comb through and NO POOP.

So he hasn't pooped in probably 2 weeks :(

I don't know what to do. Should I try to see if he makes it? The vet is closed, but I honestly don't think he is going to pull through the night. I am debating euthenizing him (humanly)

He also isn't taking anything to drink.

Please help :(

Euphoric

thanks for replying. Yes, I mist him everyday. He also always have a large bowl of water. The only thing I can think of the past week he hasn't had saran wrap on his 10 gallon to keep humidity in becaue it was no longer sticking and I was out. But I can't imagine it doing this.
I put him in a critter keeper to keep an eye on him. He was actually looking better. and I made a vet appointment for this afternoon. But this morning he had a really violent siezure and passed away :(

I am not sure what caused it but my other 7 reptiles all seem fine. He came from pretty bad conditions so maybe there were issues I wasn't aware of.

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
Sorry for your loss.

From the symptoms I'd be pretty inclined to say impaction was the issue. I keep cresties on PT exclusively, the only loose substrate is in the lay boxes. I know that cresties fed insects can swallow mouth fulls of substrate with the crickets, so that is what I expect happened to him. Generally Rhacs are pretty bulletproof, their only real issue is usually some ameoba parasites, and there are diets to help with that. Be sure to completely disinfect the enclosure and any furnishings with a mild bleach solution before using it with any other animals.

Holly12

Euphoric I am so sorry for your lost I have to agree with T-ReXx looks like impaction took place. Papper towels are a safe way to go I just got my new guy and he is on papper towels. :(

Visit our friends