Green anole question

ReptileRy

Hi everyone. I picked up a green anole today. I know this isn't the right section but I know there are knowledgable people here that can help. So I got my green anole today and when I put it in the terrarium my brother kind of shook him out of the bag and now he is a light gray and not moving from his spot. Should I be concerned?

BadKelpie

He's stressed. Do you have him in the right type of habitat (Kinda tropical rainforrest like), with heat and UVB? I just ask because it almost sounds like an impulse buy, and maybe you're used to leos.

ReptileRy

Yep. Within minutes of being outta the bag he was exploring and the brightest green ever. :) however. He's on the mesh top now all night and this morning. How long can these little guys be upside down?? Haha. I'll post pics in a bit. :)

30secondstobob

Also, green anoles do change color to blend in with their surroundings. If you don't have green plants in with him (her) it may not stay green. They are quite common right outside my front door! I have even seen green and brown anoles (completely different species) mating with each other in the wild. You can tell if it's a male by the bright pink or red extendable dewlap under the chin. The female's don't have them. They are relatively easy to care for if basic needs are met. Good luck! Bob

ReptileRy

Mine is definitely a male. Was nodding his head and showing his dewlap off last night. I'm just having a challenge. He is facing the back right wall on a stick that I got him but I can't figure out how to put food in a good way. I dropped one in but he just buried himself and nowhere to be seen. Any tips?

ReptileRy

picture.php

30secondstobob

Nice job with the set up! You do know that they need misting or a sprinkling of water every day as that is the only way they will drink? What are you trying to feed him? I never had much luck with mealworms when I kept anoles - just not active enough. I'll probably catch hell for this, but all I ever fed mine was wild caught insects. Then again, my anoles were always wild caught so it's nothing they weren't used to. They especially liked houseflies, roaches, spiders and moths. Bob

ReptileRy

yep! i mist him twice a day. and i didnt buy anything in that tank. all home made. :) we figured out a system for eating. i put an upside down lid in there and when hes hungry he stands infront of it until i drop 2 or 3 crickets in it. hes doing great! :)

ReptileRy

thanks! he has been green all yesterday, but today hes been mostly brown.. but he has been on the stick and the ledge of the mesh top. but the first day he was always green no matter where he was. now hes brown, he turned green when i fed him and misted him but now he wont go after his crickets or turn green with the mist. i know they change colors to their surroundings but idk for sure.. that set up was all homemade exept the floor. nothing bought. :)

ReptileRy

and i have a 60 watt reg. bulb in there now. should i switch to a nocturnal red heat bulb? its alot hotter with that. but idk. opinions?

ReptileRy

Nothing yet.. I have to order one tomorrow. I know it's bad but the one I had burnt out and I didn't know. So I gotta order a new one.

But my main concern right now is that he really really likes meal worms more then crickets. But he pooped today and I swear I still see like the torso of a mealworm in his poop? I'm guessing that's bad?

Visit our friends