How active is your Leopard Gecko at night?

braytonia

Now I understand they are nocturnal but mine seems to sleep during the day AND also sleep all through out the night. She doesn't even hunt the crickets that walk right by her! She just sleeps on her warm side all night...

blueappal

Pixel like to get into her hampster wheel and run for hours. Just messing... but she does roam around the cool side and try a little rock climbing. She only hangs around her warm hide during the day and after she eats.

SDCowboy

Mine doesn't really do any more when she's awake than when she's sleeping. She'll move around some but mostly she just keeps her head up and looks around. She does some climbing also at night.

Gecko977

Mine sleeps all day but wakes up throughout and moves to a different spot in the hide.As soon as it gets dark Luigi comes out to explore and goes crazy when I put 2-3 crickets in the cage(I do one at a time though)He catches them quickly but after that rests most of the night with his head peeping out of his hide but the rest of his body is laying down over the heat mat.

Tico

Tico moves around during the day ( guessing for a nice place to sleep ) but wakes up about 9 pm ( about an hour after i turn off the lights in the other tank (bearded dragon ) comes to the side of the tank wanting out ... ( like to play on my keyboard or do laps around my neck ...or sometimes hides in my pocket ) then its like feeding time ...and then chills on the heat for a bit and then hes up and down all night climbing casing crickets ...or just checking things out !

PaladinGirl

My leo is very active at night. She comes out about 6 or 7 and climbs all over the place. Sometimes she sits and stares at us. If I talk to her, she'll come running up to the glass trying to climb up. I'll hold her a few times. She hunts crickets and roaches. She likes to lay flat on her belly and bask over the center of her UTH for awhile, and she also will lay with her head poking out of her hide in between exploring trips. She's very active! My little fat tail isn't as active. I think it's an age thing, he's still a baby. When I put crickets in there, he runs around eating ravenously then goes back into hiding.

greedo11

My Leo Greedo varies, and it seems to me it depends on the weather. She has a good heatmat and the heating is always on in the room, but on a damp rainy night she will just sleep or lounge about. If its been a warm day, I always know Im going to hear lots of scratching noises as she climbs her polystyrene wall!! The warmer and drier it is, the more active she seems. thats my theory anyway!
Im sure Ive read Leos are not truly nocturnal, (I think the word is biurnal?) they can be awake during the day. They seem to have bursts of sleep when they need it like cats. Greedo does awake and walk around in the day but the time she seems to engage with us most is between 6 and 10pm. Ive also found her asleep when Ive got up in the night. Greedo has no uv lighting (I dont know what people make of that but I dont believe she needs it) but I do wonder if living with humans and our artificial light may confuse them a bit.

SDCowboy

Tico moves around during the day ( guessing for a nice place to sleep ) but wakes up about 9 pm ( about an hour after i turn off the lights in the other tank (bearded dragon ) comes to the side of the tank wanting out ... ( like to play on my keyboard or do laps around my neck ...or sometimes hides in my pocket ) then its like feeding time ...and then chills on the heat for a bit and then hes up and down all night climbing casing crickets ...or just checking things out !

Yeah mine moves around a lot during the day also moving from sleeping spot to sleeping spot. She may be more active during the day than night. She even likes to eat in the morning.

GeckoDude31

My first leo is all over from 7pm to 5am. She even woke me up last night from her climbing the rock wall, to clawing on the wood in her tank. My tub raised geckos seemed to be little less active, however, I can't see or hear them as well as the girl in her tank. I really need to post some videos of my active leo trying to get out of her tank. It's amazing how some leos have such outgoing personalities.

LeoMerlin

Well I had to make some changes to Merlin's tank so that it would be more natural surroundings for him but he started getting active again after the final set up was done. He seems to really love the 3 layered rock hiding hole I got him like they have at PetCo and I keep that one on the warm side. He will climb on it at night, but right now he just finished his shedding which was so cool to see so he's hiding in his moist hide cave. That was one of the strangest but coolest things to witness! But I'd say overall he's fairly active for a little while at night then goes back to sleep. I don't know about when I am asleep but when I wake up, he's sound asleep again on the warm side.

Chosen010

FANATiC
My juvi is up and about at random times throughout the day and night. Right now he's stiting on one of the rocks in his cage staring at me. He'll walk around a bit, go sleep next to his humid hide, then go sleep in it, then go walk around and stare at me some more.

My adult albino, only comes out at night (like lights out nobody's home), but I think it's more of how she was kept before i got her. The previous owner had 10.0 UVB bulbs in there and probably kept them on all the time with no UTH. Glad I found her when I did. I've only had her for a little while, got her on memorial day, so I'm hoping she comes out of that slump and becomes active like my juvi.

LeoMerlin

Awe that's what I would be freaked out over if Merlin ever escaped. We've had turtles escape (always found them), and that always scared me. However, with the screen top for his tank and the lighting on top, that and he sleeps most of the time, I don't think he will try to escape. I wouldn't know what to do if he did! I'd cry that's for sure. I hope if yours was lost, that they'll be found asap! :)

Kat&Rin

Leopard Gecko Girl
lol, well I thought that Rin was strangely lethargic....until yesterday night XD It was like around 9:00pm and I had turned the red light on just for the heck of it in case she came out. Well! She raced around looking at this and that, sniffing, climbing, etc. I just bought a coliseum ornament (Its supposed to be in a fish tank but don't tell her that) And she caught a cricket that had gone inside and then was busy scritchy scratching around till 11:30pm when I was tired of watching her and went to bed. And THEN it was hard to sleep because she was making so much noise lol.

So I dunno if its just her but, I would guess that just because you don't think your leo is active, doesn't mean they aren't ;)

Jordan

WellDog shrink isnt here at the moment to mention this so i'll do it for her;

Leo's aren't actually nocturnal, they are Crepuscular, meaning they are most active at dusk and dawn, so in the middle of the night, your leo might not actually be that active.

Taquiq

JK Herp
Now I understand they are nocturnal but mine seems to sleep during the day AND also sleep all through out the night. She doesn't even hunt the crickets that walk right by her! She just sleeps on her warm side all night...

Are you watching her all night, every second? :p

She probably comes out at least a little bit...

Dragonfly_Dust

My Vastervik usually will stay in the lower portion of the warm side hide at night to digest the crickets and superworm I just tong-fed him. (I do most of his feedings late at night when he's more willing to eat)

When he does come out, it is usually to poop on top of his rarely-used log hide on the cool side.

Visit our friends