How much heat is the UTH supposed to put out?

CaribouKai

I'm in the process of setting up my first tank for my eventual first leopard gecko and want to make sure everything is working properly and the proper temps before I order from the breeder.

I bought the small ReptiTherm UTH for my 10 gallon tank. I've seen a ton of reviews there and elsewhere suggesting to get a thermostat because the pad can get "really hot, really fast". I did get one, but even with the UTH plugged directly into the wall and on overnight, my digital thermometer is reading only 80 degrees. When I put my hand on the reptile carpet above it, it's only warm. I ordered an infrared thermometer to get a more accurate reading, but I doubt there's much of a difference.

Do I just have a dud that I should return or is this typical? If it's typical, should I get a new brand?

indyana

Usually, the ZooMed ReptiTherms get very hot. My small always easily reached 100+ F on the glass bottom itself. Is your digital thermometer reading air temp, or does it have a probe laid flat over the center of the UTH location?

CaribouKai

I have the probe suction-cupped to the side of the tank, with the end of the probe itself touching the bottom edge, but it's probably mostly reading air temp. Should I place the probe directly on the floor inside the hide to measure from in there, then?

indyana

Yes, either get the probe lying flat on the floor in the middle of the heated area or wait until you get your temp gun. The air temperature will not get very warm with an under tank heater, but the floor surface in the middle of the pad should get hot.

indyana

Haha, no problem. :) With leopard geckos, the goal is to get the floor surface warm temp to about 88-92 F. The air temperature itself doesn't have to be warm, even room temperature is fine in most cases (unless your house gets below about 60 F in the winter or something). Good luck getting ready for your first gecko!

Visit our friends