Leo on the cover of Nature magazine....

garweft

My Dog Wears Funny Hats
Just though that everyone would be interested in knowing that a Leopard Gecko has graced the cover of the scientific publication Nature. The only bad thing is that the article that it represents is on a new adhesive called geckel that combines ideas gained from mussel adhesion and the hair like structures used by geckos to cling to surfaces.

Looks like someone forgot to tell nature that Leos don't have toe pads. :main_rolleyes:

garweft

My Dog Wears Funny Hats
Here's a small image of the cover...

cover_nature.jpg

OSUgecko

Check the "In the News" section of the forums - there is a thread there with a link to an article summarizing geckel's function. Basically, scientists made a stickier model of a gecko foot using chemicals that mussels use to anchor themselves to rocks. Geckel will "restick" (sort of like a Post-it note on steroids) in both wet and dry environments, and they hope to use it in everything from surgeries to robotics.

OSUgecko

P.S. - Awww, Matthew, you stole my thunder! :D I found the journal today as well, although I saw the MSN article several days ago. It completely cracked me up that a leading sci-journal like that could make such a huge, front-page blunder. Scientists aren't always as bright as they like to think they are...

BethanyB

I saw the exact same thing done on another science magazine a while back, featuring the "gecko tape" as it's main story :D. Imagine that, two completely separate magazines, making the exact same blunder!

Airilith

You'd think that scientists would know how to do a little research :main_rolleyes:

Seeing that picture on the cover of Nature is much more upsetting than MSN because Nature is generally a very good scientific journal.

garweft

My Dog Wears Funny Hats
OSUgecko said:
P.S. - Awww, Matthew, you stole my thunder! :D I found the journal today as well, although I saw the MSN article several days ago. It completely cracked me up that a leading sci-journal like that could make such a huge, front-page blunder. Scientists aren't always as bright as they like to think they are...

When I saw it in my mailbox I thought it was the newest issue of REPTILES magazine, but that's not due until another week or two. I would like to blame the photo choice on one of the editors, but the photo credit is to the first author of the article..... I wonder if it's a pet. :main_yes:

G

Gecko

Keep in mind that the people that might be in charge of checking these things may be scientists, but probably don't study herps.

DanTheFireman

Gecko said:
Keep in mind that the people that might be in charge of checking these things may be scientists, but probably don't study herps.
That's OK, neither do insurance companies. It is pretty cool to see these things when they pop up outside of our normal circles.

Grinning Geckos

Tegan onboard.
DanTheFireman said:
That's OK, neither do insurance companies. It is pretty cool to see these things when they pop up outside of our normal circles.

LOL Dan! It still cracks me up that they use a shot of a leo licking it's eyeball. I never see mine do that...they have eyelids after all!

As for the "not studying herps", I don't buy that as an excuse. Anyone with a rudimentary understanding of animals in general (or even just have eyeballs that work) can see leos have claws and not toe-pads. :main_rolleyes: I'm guessing it was just easier to photograph the leo because it was too busy clinging for dear life, rather than something like a day gecko that would just run away.

Visit our friends