Max Age for First Breed - Female

Desdemona

So, how long can you keep a female before giving her a boyfriend? I am hatching (har) and scheming for next year but before I finalize any plans I need to know how long I can keep a female before breeding her, ie age wise (thinking about future hatchlings).

geckogirl3

you can keep them w/o a guy forever, but they have to be at least 1 year old and weigh 50 grams before you can breed them.
sometime they start to lay eggs like chickens tho

Desdemona

I know the earliest age, but I want to know the latest... ie if I wait till mt girl is 5 yrs old is she still fertile? I thought I had found their end of fertility age online somewhere but I couldn't find it.

Sent from my DROID PRO using Tapatalk

sunshinegeckos

I wouldn't wait that long. I heard that sometimes if you wait they might end up not laying for you or not producing as well for you. I think it would be ok to wait a year but I wouldnt wait 5 years.

Desdemona

Oh, ok. Hopefully my little 2 yr old will breed, if not I will have to wait til next year when my snow grows up a bit. I was thinking that waiting would give me more time to study any enigma syndrome in the offspring. I want to keep all of my offspring and breed whoever shows the least affect. Though if its a girl then I will have to buy another boy. I will probably temp sex females. I don't want to have to figure out what to do with 20 males.

Desdemona

Ok, thanks for the replies. This might be Volta's one clutch, she better make it a good one, ha!

Visit our friends