More on Eye concerns

F

Firefly08

Hi I'm new here but I've had leos for about 5 yrs now. This is the first time I've had any problems. What mine have going on sounds similar to what Alaskan Gecko was asking about.

It all started about 6 months ago, my oldest Sal, was squinting one eye and wouldn't open it just out of the blue. She got 2x daily cloramphenicol eye ointment from the vet for months but the eye started to swell and a strange crust formed on it. A 12-day course of injected baytril did nothing and it just kept getting bigger it looked so painful so I had to put her down recently. Sal is missed.

Now another gecko that was caged with her is squinting an eye so I want to try more aggressive treatment this time I couldn't stand losing another so soon. The eye is not swollen, if anything it looks smaller than the good eye since she's pulling it in. She's licking at it alot and it looks a little cloudly with no discharge so I don't think a pic would show anything. I took her to the vet but he doesn't know what the problem is, so he just put her on the same eye ointment.

Any ideas? Since the antibiotics didn't work for Sal, could it be fungal? Has anyone heard of that?

I have her isolated and on paper towel now, I just don't know what to do. Any ideas would be appreciated.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Two random pieces of information I can think of:

1. I was interested in a gecko at a local pet store and when I went back to look at it again they said it was in isolation because it had "a bubble on its eye". I don't know what the outcome was (they were having it treated by a vet) but I remember one of the people there saying that this is something that can be relatively common with leopard geckos. I know we tend to discount what pet store employees say, but I have been fairly impressed with these guys. It's just something to see if anyone else has heard of this.

2. Someone who posts occasionally here had an issue a few years ago with some of her related snows who were having eye problems I think. It was Jeanne (USA geckos). I don't remember how it was resolved. I will email her and see if she can contribute to this.

Aliza

fallen_angel

Fallen Angel's Geckos
You could try searching the forums for eye problems in the mean time.. I'm sorry, I don't have any experience with anything like this.

I'm so terribly sorry about Sal, that's a very tragic story :bigcry:
RIP Sal

fallen_angel

Fallen Angel's Geckos
I just found this thread http://www.geckoforums.net/showthread.php?t=5660 from someone who had (what sounds like) the same problem, and this was their solution:
I just writing back because I left my computer at work this weekend. Anyways, thanks for the responses. I actually got some "natural tears" eye drops and put them on for a couple days and it cleared right up. The eye looks perfectly normal now and seems to work fine since he has been catching crickets alot easier.

F

Firefly08

Thanks for the input everyone. I glad to learn that there is a good forum for gecko help :) She seems about the same since I started the ointment on Sunday. I'll try the eye drops between treatments.

malt_geckos

Don't Say It's Impossible
We have an adopted gecko with eye issues. It has a little bubble in the skin, almost like a cyst on the skin close to the eye. It's eyes are a bit cloudy as well. The vet gave us that same ointment and it's not doing crap. So, I am taking ours to the vet again when we can. *rolls eyes*

Anywho, good luck with yours and I hope that all goes well. Sorry to hear about the loss of your other baby! It's very hard to lose one. :(

F

Firefly08

I went to get some artificial tears, but now I'm confused. Every brand is made of something different... Some even had Belladonna or polyethene glycol, a toxin and antifreeze??!! I wouldn't put that my eyes!

Any ideas what kind I should use?

I concur with the vet eye roll, I've been to every reptile vet in town and its basically "here's some baytril"

Visit our friends