Name dropping breeders

marula

i think put wc in usa bloodline for refresh the blood is only a fast way for extend the gene pool...and is a bad idea for me...you can working better using different bloodline for go in aoutcross without loss the selection of last 5-10 years...
if a breeder working well, don't go everytime in imbreeding (but only for fix a caracter) and put outside from his breeding program the not "perfect" aminals, the bloodline will be strong..
..if you breed a selected gecko with a wc you lost a big opportunity to fix some patterns...
is possible for me working well whit the actual genepool, but with a little sense of ethic.
...aother thing...i think the pet gecko now have very less than wc animal...

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
I can see your point, Marula. I do not inbreed ANY of my geckos... they are all outcrossed. This is the reason I will never put a 'new' morph on the map, LOL! However, since many of us breeders outcross using each others geckos, our gene pools are becoming shallow. Having a WC gecko to outcross our lines would provide 'fresh' genes to work with!

Select Gex

Arconna said:
There's still a lot of wholesale importing going on, but I think for species like Leo's and Bearded Dragons and other staple reptile trade animals are practically out of that circle now. I think importing WC is reserved for the more rare species in the pet trade. But then there are also plenty of laws and such against importing certain species and what not (such as that New Zealand gecko that had a thread on here for a while--since they don't have many young in a season and they are endangered and practically unattainable, you're very lucky to see any for sale).
I'm curious what the interest is in WC Leo's anyway? Is it just to say "I have a WC Leo" or is there a breeding interest in them (such as potential genes that would otherwise be gone in the CB population)?

Importation of bearded dragons isn't going to happen, even if we needed it. No import/exports from Austrailia. And yes, that is why people want WC leos. To outcross.

Visit our friends