Need help, plugged vent

zaridari

I'm very new to this forum, as I only joined to get help for my gecko, if I'm posting in the wrong place I'm sorry. I've had him 5 years now, and he's never had shed issues. I actually don't know 100% if he's male, but I'm pretty certain he is. I've moved twice recently, as I moved cross the state and he's been under stress, as I was giving him a physical I noticed his vent looked like it had stuck shed/looked inflamed. I gave him a bit of a soak in a shallow bath, for about 10 minutes and I'm going to let him try and get the shed or plug off himself as he was becoming agitated at my handling, what should I do next? Or if he can't get it himself, what should I do to remove it thank you guys in advance. Screenshot_20230820-203358.png

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It looks more as if the pre-anal pores are clogged rather than the actual vent. I'm divided about what to do. I've pulled out the pieces that stick out for one of my male geckos and he ended up losing some of the scales there and having some small wounds. If he'll tolerate it, why don't you try putting some olive oil there which may soften up the deposits and maybe they'll come out on their own.

Aliza

zaridari

It looks more as if the pre-anal pores are clogged rather than the actual vent. I'm divided about what to do. I've pulled out the pieces that stick out for one of my male geckos and he ended up losing some of the scales there and having some small wounds. If he'll tolerate it, why don't you try putting some olive oil there which may soften up the deposits and maybe they'll come out on their own.

Aliza
Thank you, if he isn't able to get them off himself in another day or two I'll try pulling them myself

Skar

If you do remove it manually soak or bath him in warm water first and then remove it while it’s moist to reduce trauma/harm .

Visit our friends