New Leo owner

Reptilia<3

I have my first Leopard Gecko, and I am in love. I have a couple of behavioral questions, and of course: male or female?
My Leo seems to prefer his warm hide, and he poops in his cool hide. It's nice of him to poop in the cool hide because it's out of sight. The question is, why does he also occasionally sleep in his cool hide (aka his bathroom)? I tried giving him a third hide, but he still sleeps in the potty.
My second question is; why does he dig in the corner of his tank? I never see him dig, but the signs are obvious.
Last; I think male. 7-8 months old:

Attachments

• 14900463_10210627343183329_5163133253243541417_n.jpg
    14900463_10210627343183329_5163133253243541417_n.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Leo GeckoFace.jpg
    Leo GeckoFace.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Leo Gecko.jpg
    Leo Gecko.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 15

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Welcome to GF! Leopard geckos are very cool, and I hope you realize that love of leopard geckos leads to more leopard geckos.
Based on the picture, the gecko looks to be a male (see the "V" of pores above the vent?).
He's a nice looking albino.
Leopard geckos usually choose one place to poop and can be pretty stubborn about that. Some like to go inside a hide, outhouse style. If you don't want to keep cleaning out the cool hide, you could try moving the cool hide to see if he'll continue to use the spot. If he stays with the cool hide even in its new location, you may be out of luck.

There is a lot of debate about whether leopard geckos should be on sand or not, but there does seem to be consensus that juveniles shouldn't be on sand, so you may want to consider changing substrates. I find that ceramic tiles (from Home Depot or equivalent) work well. If you want your gecko to be able to dig, you could use eco earth for the whole substrate, or put a 2" deep (or so) dish of eco earth that covers 1/2 to 1/3 of the enclosure and he can dig in there.

Aliza

Visit our friends