Python Stalked, Then Ate Family Dog in Front of Children

leolover2

Actually Marcia this was a wild python. It's sad that this happened. But it goes to show you what happens when man moves into mother nature's territory.

Airilith

Perhaps the people could have put two and two together. Big snake + small dog = no small dog outside without supervision. That would have prevented it. If the dog wasn't near the snake nothing could happen.

moosassah

Once again proving we, as the human race, sure is dumb. Hello?! Yeah, like we knew the snake was stalking the dog, but we never thought it would actually eat it.

OK, I'll go back to being a nice person now.

T&KBrouse

K, the Crazy Snake Lady
I've heard quite a few stories about the Scrubs eating pets in Australia.
It is sad, but as stated, when we infiltrate their territory, how are they suppoosed to differenciate between wild and domesticated prey?

dprince

Mod Squad Member
I SOOOOOO did not need to see the picture of that. I thought I was clicking on just an article!! :(

Very, very horrible for those children, and of course that poor little dog. :main_no:

L

lucia

I don't get how they knew the snake was stalking the dog FOR DAYS...but did nothing to remove the dog from the area of the snake, or call an expert in to remove the snake (they only did that after-the-fact). With a dog that small, you could easily confine it to a small, secure enclosure and not have too much of a mess to clean up. I almost felt while reading that article that they used the dog as bait. Stoopid humans.

Stitch

My sister-in-law bought a chiwawa and was told not to let it outside unless it would be supervised. Due to the area that she lived in, a lot of "chicken" hawks. She had 2-3 occasions where the hawks flew as low as 20 feet from the ground. On one occasion the hawks cornered the dog but because the corner was so tight the hawks could not get to it. Talk about some close calls.

rhino43grr

HERE WE GO STEELERS
this just further proves my opinion that dogs too small to intimidate a large rodent are absolutely ridiculous. there's no way a chihuahua could survive without human care unless it could somehow yap its prey to death.

Stitch

According to the dog trainer we go to, she has seen a chihuahua stare down a German Shepherd. So what's that say?! Call it survival of the fitest or natural selection / evolution, every thing has it's place.

Yamori

Aussie Reptile Keeper
I live in brisbane and can't believe i didn't hear about this.

We do have wild animals everywhere here, in your back yard you will see many species. Possums, reptiles like skinks, blue tongues, common geckos, beardies (just to name a few) you rarely see snakes.

I have lived here 14 years and have only seen 3 of them in my back yard. I have seen a couple of eastern brown snakes or common brown snake as we call it and a red bellied black snake.

Everyone here is educated about the dangerous native animals and are taught from early age about respecting these animals and their habitat.

Even something as simple as picking up rocks in a garden is a no no here due to spiders and snakes. But honestly, you rarely see the deadly creatures here and if you do you know to stay away from them and call the nearest wildlife service and they will come and take it away to a new location. lol the magpies are more commonly seen and dangerous here. people riding bikes and even posties have to wear helmets with either eyes on the back or lots of wire ties sticking out of it. looks funny but they do it to keep the magpies away as they are very nasty birds and will attack you without warning in breeding season. posties (post men on their mopeds) are usually seen with a magpie or two swooping at him from behind.

Most of the time you just shout at them or wave your arms or something and they will fly off and leave you alone. They are just very protective of their nests.

Feel sorry for that dog though, thats a nasty way to go.

Peace-

Darren

Haligren

is behind you.
Replace "snake" with "bear" and you've got yourself a typical camping trip in BC.

Also, Darren, I used to live in VA and while we didn't have a lot of 'dangerous' animals wandering into our neck of the woods, we do get the occasional aggressive blue jay -which are related to magpies I believe - and they are JUST as protective of their nests as magpies. I got kamikazed by one when I was walking in the woods one time. It was late in the season so I must've almost stepped on a fledgling or something. On the other hand, there was one time where I actually picked up a fledgling (wearing gloves of course) that my cat had brought up - still alive - and returned to the woods. The mother was watching me the whole time and didn't dive at me. Maybe it depends on their personality? lol

But having moved to Canada, we have our fair share of wild animals. Including bears (both grizzly and black), moose, mule deer, cougars, coyote, and the odd wolf. And the more we encroach on their habitats, the more we see them and/or at risk of being dinner. And as cute as some of those small dogs are you're just asking for trouble if you're not prepared to supervise them even in your own back yard. I feel bad for the dog though. Being eaten by a snake is probably one of the worst deaths ever. >.<

Last edited:

elnott

i agree that small dogs are not great pets, due to the fact thay cannot defend themselves and have to be supervised, but a 16 ft snake could prolly kill a 40 pound dog pretty easy. i personally do not have to worry about wild animals eating my k9 buddy. here in ohio tha largest COMMON predator is the coyote. they usually only attack dogs 40lbs and over if they are in packs of 4 or more.

Visit our friends