What does TSF stand for?

bubblez825

I never see anyone use TSM for temp sexed male though, is it just an unspoken assumption that anything that isn't TSF will positively be male? I've heard of geckos that hatch at the wrong temperature for their gender. I believe it is hot temp females and low temp males, is that correct? Or do I have faulty information?

ImNotYogi

I never see anyone use TSM for temp sexed male though, is it just an unspoken assumption that anything that isn't TSF will positively be male? I've heard of geckos that hatch at the wrong temperature for their gender. I believe it is hot temp females and low temp males, is that correct? Or do I have faulty information?
I've noticed that too when skimming breeder's sites. The temps can give a high chance of producing the desired sex but it's not a guarantee. As far as I've read, lower temps (I think low 80s) has a higher chance of producing females while higher temps (90) will produce males.

bubblez825

That's what I thought... Does anyone know what is commonly used for temp sexed male? Or if, like I said before, is it just an unspoken assumption that anything not TSF is temp sexed male? How does this work?

DrCarrotTail

I've seen people use TSM to indicate the egg was incubated for male. I interpret TSF and TSM as meaning the egg was incubated at a temperature for the sex indicated but is not 100% guaranteed the hatchling will turn out to be that sex. I would not assume either if sex is not indicated. Some folks incubate in between the male and female temps and get a mix of both. Hatchlings incubated under these conditions would not be TS anything and would just be unknown until they are of an age you can tell by sight.

Enigmatic_Reptiles

Quality is Everything
The reason you see far less TSM is simply due to far less eggs being temped for males. On average I incubate 1 male for every 6 females. You have to keep in mind being able to sell what you produce and since 1 male typically goes to 4 or so females, the production and incubation ratios should match. Then add in the fact that they are probably going to hold back a portion of their males...you have few males (too young to sex) on the market. Lastly I don't like to let males go until I can sex them because you can easily destroy someones plans and season with them getting a female instead of their needed male.

RampantReptiles

I mark temp sexed males if they are incubated at 90 (which is the temp I use for males) and I cannot visually sex them as being male. Most males are visually sexable in the 10-20 gram range. Other males dont really definitively show until 40+ grams.
There are also morphs that do not seem to accurately temp sex like Mack Snow. You could get something like 50-75% of the sex you actually incubated for with MS versus like 80-90% that you get with other morphs. *These are not real percentages, they are just numbers I made up to give you an idea of what I mean.

Visit our friends