Which Fruit and Vegetables Can Geckos Eat?

megan111

Hi

My gecko lost her tail about 8 months ago. She has been eating once every 2 months til about 3 months ago where I have managed to get her to eat a cricket a week. Her appetite is waning again.

I know the one thing she eats very easily is baby food. I am considering trying that again. However, I am cautious to try conventional baby food with all the stuff they add to it so want to make a blender mix myself and add the calcium to that.

Would that be recommended? What fruit and vegetables would be best for her?

Thank you

Jetfire

after digging around,I see that you have leopard geckos. they aren't really going to take to vegetables or fruit very well,their systems just aren't designed for it. have you tried other insects besides crickets?

megan111

Thank you :) I dont know what to do with her anymore. The other gecko is eating so nicely. so i dont think its the tank conditions.

I have tried wax/meal worms and crickets. Its almost like the food just doesnt catch her attention. Ill put her directly in front of the cricket and she just looks the other way and runs.

I have given her some electrolyte balancing/vitamin solution in her water too. That made a difference before but not now.

I also think she shedding recently ( i can see a bit of skin on her toes) so she has lost a bit more weight

I think thats all... I also read somewhere possibly chicken baby food? only for a short term basis. Or even if i mush some already dead human protein sources... i cant kill live things.

Jetfire

I've used chicken baby food before,make sure its organic,if possible. a small jar @ wallyworld is around a buck or so,and will last for @ least a week. if it'll eat it,that is. Some geckos will eat it,some won't.

megan111

Will organic be ok?I am hesitant to use commercialized products with them. If I mush up the chicken myself will it be better?

Do you have any other suggestions?

jmoore1982

I have a new leopard gecko for about a month now. First week bringing him home he would not eat at all then started eating very well for about a week. He shed and then pretty much stopped eating and pooping. Webhad him on sand which i have since found out is a no no but he became impacted. We did the warm soaking and drops of ovlive oil and he pooped sand 2 days in a row but still refused to eat. So we tried wax worms. He ate 2 right when we gave them to him but then didnt poop the next day at all. Past 3 days he has had a very small amount of runny poop (no sand in it) but is still refusing to eat anything. Today i have gotton him to lick some chicken babyfood off my finger. He is still active and there doesnt seem to be a dark spot on his belly so i think the impaction is cleared? Any advice would be apreciated. Not sure if he is just stressed from the warm soaks he got (which he hated) and will start eating again soon or what i should do....is it om to keep giving him the babyfood for a few days since thats all he can eat. I am brand new to reptile care and have read and leanred alot online bur i dont know if i should be concerned or just kind of wait it out. Thanks

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Welcome to the forums. I recommend you spend about a week keeping him in a dim, low stress (not much handling) environment and offer crickets and/or mealworms regularly. It's not unusual for a gecko to stop eating due to stress and even due to winter (I think they're triggered by the amount of light rather than only the temps). If you have a baby then it is a bit more important for him to eat, but otherwise, they can go quite awhile safely without eating. People feed baby food when a gecko is ill and needs the nourishment but if there's any way to get him to eat whole food it's much better. Try that and see how it goes.

Aliza

megan111

I went past the shop to look for baby food yesterday. I found an organic chicken one but it has maize and preservatives in the ingredients ...is that ok to feed it?

Good luck jmoore...let me know how it goes

jmoore1982

My little guy has finally started eating and poopung again regularly never thought id be so excited to see him actually hunt down a cricket lol hes still not eating as much as he was but im happy with him just eating right now. :)

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
Glad to hear that your gecko is settling into a more normal routine. Keep us updated on how he progresses!

JoshuaW

9m getting my leopard gecko tommorow i have the tank already setup i was wandering about feeding how many mealworms is it everyday or everyother ive seen them both and im confused

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Joshua, I know you have a lot of questions and we'll be happy to answer, but you need to go to the forum main page, choose the leopard gecko forum and then click on "new post" and start a new thread with your questions, rather than add them to other people's threads. That will work out much better for you and your questions.

Aliza

Visit our friends