silk raptor?

sandfire

what do you guiys think of this animal it has almost no scales on the head and neck. Good this be something special like the silkback beardfed dragons? It was a baby from last year

preacherman

Gecko Genetics
I hatched a male from my Sunlow project last year that was very similar, very smooth skin as if it completeley lacked scales. Unfortunately, he struggle to grow and thrive and eventually passed away.

K

KnECritters

Yeah...while it's pretty, I believe it's unethical to intentionally breed for that trait. You have to remember that with the lack of 'scales', they lose a lot of protection from heat, light, injury, etc. Especially in those animals that need UV lighting, like bearded dragons. And with leos, they need a lot of direct heat contact, so with the lack of 'scales', the heat they need to survive could harm them.

Lena

I question all things.
I don't think, because Leopard Geckos are nocturnal and don't require UVA/UVB, this lack of scales could be nearly as problematic as it would be for a bearded dragon.

You don't have to worry about "sun burn" or anything like that.

Does he seem at all in pain or unhealthy as a result of this mutation?

nevinm

Moyer's Monsters
thats a beautiful animals but i have to agree with gregg and katie. as AWSOME looking as he is, i just wouldnt breed him untill hes like a couple years old, just to see how well he does.

lena, katie was talking about the heat with the leopards being a problem, not the UV. if given a 95 degree spot that is needed, it could burn the animal. so if that heat burns the animal, but its still needed to digest food... its just not going to work out very well for the well being of it.

still very cool

Jorgevill

R-MTY
thats a beautiful animals but i have to agree with gregg and katie. as AWSOME looking as he is, i just wouldnt breed him untill hes like a couple years old, just to see how well he does.

lena, katie was talking about the heat with the leopards being a problem, not the UV. if given a 95 degree spot that is needed, it could burn the animal. so if that heat burns the animal, but its still needed to digest food... its just not going to work out very well for the well being of it.

still very cool

I think you enter the wrong post.. :)

K

KnECritters

Nevin is right, I was talking about the heat in my reply to this topic.

I've seen several different scaleless reptiles pop up now. Personally, I wouldn't want them nor breed for them. That gecko does look healthy, but the scaleless area is, what looks like, only on the head region. Where as if it was selectively bred to have a completely scaleless leo, I believe it would be unethical. The high hot spot for them could burn the leo very easily.

He is very pretty though!

Jorgevill

R-MTY
Nevin is right, I was talking about the heat in my reply to this topic.

I've seen several different scaleless reptiles pop up now. Personally, I wouldn't want them nor breed for them. That gecko does look healthy, but the scaleless area is, what looks like, only on the head region. Where as if it was selectively bred to have a completely scaleless leo, I believe it would be unethical. The high hot spot for them could burn the leo very easily.

He is very pretty though!

My bad.. I think he confuse the other topic of Gregg of the 95°F spot..

sandfire

i keep this animal under heatstrips so burning is out of the question, it also misses a lott scales on the back, if it proves to be genetical or not it has to proof out. It is a female with two red eyes

B

Brewster320

From what I read about scaleless snakes is they can do just as well in captivity as scaled ones and they can heat them selves over a heat pad with out problems. Just to much UV would be bad and a heat lamp would probably dehydrate them quicker so you'd better off witha heat pad which is recommended for leos anyways. But I agree, wait a few years and see if it causes any problems to his heath.

malt_geckos

Don't Say It's Impossible
I think it's cool and it obviously looks healthy and not like it's having a hard time putting on weight. lol. I would say if it does well, prove it out. I think it looks really cool! As long as it doesn't affect the well-being of the animal, I think you should go for it!

crotaphytidae

If and/or when the gecko proves out I'd be in the market for a scaleless/ reduced scale individual. I think that animal is a beauty and have to agree that it looks very healthy and seems to have no problem with the way it's currently being raised. Keep up the good work and look forward to seeing updates on this girl. :main_thumbsup:

Visit our friends