private forum

wilomn

No One of Consequence
I think there is not only no need for it here, as this is not a site that looks favorably on combat in any form or forum, but would simply become a headache for whomever the mod(s) happened to be.

There are places for venting and playing such as have been discussed here. Perhaps a link to those places would be sufficient.

Unless there are enough babysitters here that someone wants the job of Moderating an additional forum.

Maybe it's just me, but I see trouble all over this one.

The NY Gecko

Don't Get So Carried Away
Golden Gate Geckos said:
The 'private' forums here on GeckoForums.net are not what you think they are. They are for the moderators of this site to discuss decisions for the appropriate actions of certain posts, and for invited members to participate in private discussions. Here are the rules for that forum:

"This forum is a place to hang out and relax, participate in more adult and/or heated discussion, and vent about stuff that is getting on our nerves. This is the appropriate forum to discuss topics that are or could be more heated and/or negative, and to keep those discussions off the main board. Posts made in this forum are only visible to the Insider Forum members. What happens in here, stays in here, and is under no circumstances to be brought out onto the main forums.

This forum is not meant to be a war room so no fighting, no personal threats, and no one under the age of 18 is allowed. This is an invitation only forum, and members can be removed by the administration at anytime at our discretion. Additional rules may be added as this forum gets going. If for any reason you wish your access to this forum removed, please pm me."

Being a "Mod" is difficult at times, because you have to put personal opinions and feelings aside and make sure that the TOS are being followed. It means reading every post on thread (if possible), and making sure the content is appropriate for that particular forum and it's readers.

If you would like to have a separate forum for "Under 18" members, I think that sounds OK, but keep in mind that someone over 18 will have to moderate it for content, just like any other forum on this website. Just like the "Insider's Forum", the invitation and privilege to use the forum would be revoked if it was abused.
I want Ian S. as a mod. thats my request. any objections?

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
Tom, contrary to what you might think at times, this website is run by Kelli. You can make requests, but ultimately ALL decisions (including an additional froum) are hers.

R

RoseT

AND she is a very busy women so it might take some time to get to this little subject and decide on it so hold your horses. :smug2:

R

Russ S

The NY Gecko said:

I object

That said, how does Ian feel about being a babysitter?

While being neither for or against this idea, you have to understand that all the mods here would have access and responsibility to moderate the proposed forum, and the TOS would be strictly adhered to.

Russ

G & M Geckos

Margaritaville Tour Guide
First off, I think I underestand where Tom is coming from. I think he just wants a place to call their own. I don't think he is being demanding either, he is just expresses his ideas.

I also very much agree with Marcia and Russ too though. It would have to follow the TOS and would need to be monderated by serval mods just to keep it safe.

Tom, I want you to understand I don't think it is pointless but many will not understand what tthe big deal is with all the otheer opions available. I also see your history coming back to bite you in the rear. What I mean is some people may (I am not saying they will or do) think because of problems you have had in the past, how could this possiblly be a good idea.

The NY Gecko

Have as many mods as you want, i just want an invite only place for the 17 and unders. seperate but equal rights. reschke had it right.

Kimjorg

Go in the chat room if you want to discuss things off the topic of reptiles or go to general discussion extra forums are just unnecessary and a waste of Kelli's and moderators time. And BTW i dont think that Kelli is really gonna let you pick who you want moderating it, that is her decision.

The NY Gecko

Kimjorg said:
Go in the chat room if you want to discuss things off the topic of reptiles or go to general discussion extra forums are just unnecessary and a waste of Kelli's and moderators time. And BTW i dont think that Kelli is really gonna let you pick who you want moderating it, that is her decision.
did i say to do it. i said i requested. what is it with you people and thinking im demanding anything.

R

RoseT

Well I don't like how this thread it going...Tom made his point and everyone else made there's... now lets just see what Kelli decides and go from there. I don't want this thread to turn into a angry debate that it seems it is getting close to. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

KelliH

Tom, I have spent some time today considering your request, and for the time being I am going to have to say no. I do understand the point you are trying to make, but I just think at this time anything "off topic" should be posted in the "off topic" section of the website. Feel free to pm me if you would like to continue the discussion. Thanks!

roaches42993

KelliH said:
Tom, I have spent some time today considering your request, and for the time being I am going to have to say no. I do understand the point you are trying to make, but I just think at this time anything "off topic" should be posted in the "off topic" section of the website. Feel free to pm me if you would like to continue the discussion. Thanks!

thank you kelli I was getting a lil worried . Tom I would suggest getting a myspace or starting your own forum like i said before . I would even be willing to help you for about 30 min a day for 1 week if you want .

Ian S.

Hi guys,
I saw my name requested as a mod for the requested forum, so I thought I'd throw in my two pennies. First and foremost, thanks Tom for the request bro!! I would have no problems watching over the underage insiders forum. Anything I can do to help out with this site would be an honor. With that said unfortunately I agree with most of the nay sayers in this instance. When it comes to an underage forum Tom, a completely different TOS would have to be placed over that forum and again they would most definitely have to be even stricter than the actual TOS for the entire site. I think it's a great idea don't get me wrong, but like a few have said there would be nothing seen or read there that couldn't be seen on the general forums. Going out on a limb here, the general idea here seems to be derived from you feeling as though you can't post openly with your own opinions. Which to me is a larger issue at hand. No one should feel as though they need their own private forum to vent off some steam and neither should you. We have rants and raves for that. If you have a bone to pick with someone pick away. Your thoughts and opinions are valued here as everyone elses as far as I'm concerned. Just as much as they are not by other folks. That is something you must accept & understand. Just remember to keep it respectful and they will go that much further my man.:main_thumbsup: :main_thumbsup:
"now I'm gonna go work on my own advice"
LOL

Last edited:

Visit our friends