Signatures

Signature limit?

• BB coding should be included in the limit

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • BB coding should NOT be included in the limit

Votes: 10 76.9%

• Total voters

bubblez825

I was trying to edit my signatures and put links to pictures of my geckos in it and it said our signature CANNOT be longer than 400 characters INCLUDING BB coding or something like that. I want to ask, is there any way to change that? I don't think its right that the encoding doesn't even show and it limits us to 400 characters. I did like all this work, copy and pasting the links and looking for the words through all the encoding and looking through my hundreds + pictures on photobucket and stuff for the links then I click to submit and its not allowed!

Does anyone besides me think this should be changed so BB codes don't count?

I'm sorry if I'm sounding really direct or rude, I don't mean it like that but I can't think of another way to put it, please forgive me, its just IMO that I say this about the signatures.

Please state your opinions! I'm just curious what everyone else says :) :main_thumbsup:

~Emily

LeapinLizards

It's a BEAUT Clark!
Well, from personal experience on other forums that DO allow pictures in signatures (meaning they don't have a limit) it can get REALLY annoying with pictures in sigs. Takes up way too much space when posting...and gets distracting. That is just my personal opinion, and things I've seen on other forums.

thekooliest

Website Creator
I do think pictures get annoying. But I think 400 actual characters would be a better limit, in case you want to ad some links. Because links eat up the space fast :p

S

Sturt

I think its best the way it is. Otherwise, people would put loads and loads of images in their sigs. At least this way you're limited to one or two.

IMHO there should be no images in Sigs at all.

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
You can use part of the 400 characters in your signature for a link... I have my website link in my sig.

Here on GeckoForums.net, we have limited server space, so we don't want it all used up with sig images... we'd rather have people use the "Show Off Your Leos" thread for photos. Besides, signatures that have a lot of stuff in them as well as pics are very annoying IMO, especially when they are bigger than the content of the post!

thekooliest

Website Creator
You can use part of the 400 characters in your signature for a link... I have my website link in my sig.

Here on GeckoForums.net, we have limited server space, so we don't want it all used up with sig images... we'd rather have people use the "Show Off Your Leos" thread for photos. Besides, signatures that have a lot of stuff in them as well as pics are very annoying IMO, especially when they are bigger than the content of the post!
Excellent point :main_thumbsup:
I would hate to have to take away Show Off Your Leos for some annoying pictures in the signuatures :main_evilgrin:

bubblez825

what i mean is hyperlinking the names of my geckos to their pix on photobucket; sorry i should have said that i think i got you guys all confused ^__^

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
Well, here is what the TOS for signatures says:

The signature area is a few lines of text and or/text links that appear at the bottom of each post a member makes in the forums. You may post a link to your personal or business website, or a favorite quote you wish to display, pretty much anything as long as it is not obscene or blatently offensive. There is a limit of six lines in the signature area. This includes blank lines or lines containing text. Images are not allowed in the signature area (with the exception of a smiley or two), text only please. Any color or font can be used, but the font size must be the default size or smaller.
Soooooo... if you take a look at your sig, Emily, you will see that you are in violation of the signature TOS of this website because your fonts size is larger than the default font! (You m-a-a-a-y want to fix that ASAP.)

cwazy

Cwazy Gecko Man!
Well, here is what the TOS for signatures says:

Soooooo... if you take a look at your sig, Emily, you will see that you are in violation of the signature TOS of this website because your fonts size is larger than the default font! (You m-a-a-a-y want to fix that ASAP.)

i see alot of sigs on a daily basis that are "in violation of the TOS" i guess its just a matter of someone of "higher power" catching it *shrug* but i found the sig. limitations to be annoying all in its self, and had my rounds of warnings :main_laugh: :main_rolleyes: it would be great if there was at least a way to TELL YOU when you hit the 400 mark... gosh that was indeed frusterating... so i here ya on that... hyperlinking... seems silly that it counts against that 400, when its not really being shown... but i dont know how the server and stuff works... so maybe it still takes up more room... ? i love pics in your sig, it just makes it more personal... but there needs to be a limit... small is good and big is bad... but again about the server and spaceing i have no idea on that stuff :main_rolleyes: so all in all... i think if the sigs were a "REAL" issue, i know several people whome would be busted a while ago... but they are not, there for it cant be THAT big of a deal... yet...

i may not agree or like the sig. limitations here... but its just how it is and i wish to stay so i too shall follow... :main_rolleyes: :main_thumbsup:

kyahbean

Puzzle is my 2nd love.
I agree about the BBCode not being part of the 400 characters. I also agree that there should not be images allowed in signatures. Images get annoying in signatures. But I had the same problem trying to edit my signature, I wanted to add different colors, and the color BBCode takes up a lot of characters.

Sooooo, I think that it would be cool if the BBCode was not included in the character limit, but the 6 line limit, font size restrictions, and no images rules still stood. Make sense?

thekooliest

Website Creator
I agree about the BBCode not being part of the 400 characters. I also agree that there should not be images allowed in signatures. Images get annoying in signatures. But I had the same problem trying to edit my signature, I wanted to add different colors, and the color BBCode takes up a lot of characters.

Sooooo, I think that it would be cool if the BBCode was not included in the character limit, but the 6 line limit, font size restrictions, and no images rules still stood. Make sense?

Ya, if I had to make a decision (because I really don't care :main_cool3:), this is what I would go with...Maybe you can even shorten the limit to 300 normal characters, and 6 lines.

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
I see alot of sigs on a daily basis that are "in violation of the TOS" i guess its just a matter of someone of "higher power" catching it *shrug*
When you see ANYTHING here on GeckoForums.net that is against the TOS, you can report the post by using the little radio button under your user information that has the little orange triangle in it.
It goes out to all the moderators, and someone will take care of it!

bubblez825

Is there any way to change the signature thing so the bbcode for hyperlinking doesn't count? they take up ALOT of space, and as someone above said, is there a way so it tells us BEFORE submitting the signature it has reached the 400 character limit?

~Emily

S

SLY

I really don't see why enabling pics in sigs is a bad thing. As long as the images are hosted off site.

Unless you're talking about bandwidth problems, then there is a hitch.

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
Unless you're talking about bandwidth problems, then there is a hitch.
GeckoForums.net is paid for by the owner, Kelli Hammack... and the sponsor and banner ads. We would rather have the bandwidth used for sharing photos of our geckos, and not 'free' self-promotion.

cwazy

Cwazy Gecko Man!
ha ha... maybe ill be the sheriff in town next time i see a long sig :p but only if its promised no one gets banned on my accord! i dont want to get anyone in trouble... just saying i see it from time to time :D

S

SLY

GeckoForums.net is paid for by the owner, Kelli Hammack... and the sponsor and banner ads. We would rather have the bandwidth used for sharing photos of our geckos, and not 'free' self-promotion.

Ah, then there ya go. You said "server space" up above...

Well in that case, the bandwidth is much better used for its current purpose.

Visit our friends